XF 2.1 Is it a good idea for Xf users to reutilize vbimpex for XenForo?

ShikiSuen

I mean this repository on GitHub:

Currently, XenForo official importer supports import from MyBB, vBulletin, etc. However, it has lack of suport for Discuz and PHPWind.
PHPWind is already dead; Discuz development has been rebooted but cannot be a good competitive in the next few years.
Both of them are the most welcomed forum softwares in the Mainland China.

Formerly, vBulletin 3.x had a good market share until the closure of vBulletin China sub-company due to decisions made by Internet Brands. This made them switched to Discuz.
However, I guess people here cannot imagine why current Discuz develop team gets cursed viciously by most of their commercial users just because they forgot to keep compatibility with PHP 5.2 releases.
The current template system of Discuz (X3.4) is at the same tech level to vBulletin 2.x, regardless that it looks really multi-functional in the front.
There are lots of non-opensource commercial addons being sold in Discuz addon / template store in high prices, and Discuz has to be fell behind from XenForo in competition of latest forum technologies.

I guess XenForo official may still have lack of motivation to provide official support of importing forum data from Discuz (X2, X3) and PHPWind (6.x, 7.x, 8.x, 9.x).
Also, Xf importer is not open-sourced on GitHub.

That's why I am thinking that whether it is a good idea to use community power to make vbImpex usable for XenForo.
At least, we can make the import modules for vbImpex to make sure data from Discuz and / or PHPWind can be imported to vBulletin 3.8.x as intact as possible, and then Xf importer can read the vBulletin 3.x data.

Feel free to share your thoughts here.

Last edited:
We have no plans to make official importers from either of those scripts but the easiest thing for a third party developer to do is to just create an importer using our framework to import directly from those scripts to XF.

We have no plans to make official importers from either of those scripts but the easiest thing for a third party developer to do is to just create an importer using our framework to import directly from those scripts to XF.
Thanks for confirming your official plans.
-------------------------------
Is it practical to write automated scripts to make vbimpex modules reusable as XenForo Importer modules? (Since both vbimpex and XenForo Importer knows the database structure of vBulletin 3.6-3.8 pretty well.)

(I have less expertise in PHP programming and MySQL database development. If the above is practical, I am gonna try writing a PHPWind downgrade script from PHPWind 6.3 to PHPWind 5.x since it is readable by Chinese version of vbImpex 1.78 version.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom