Is Beta/Private Mode Available?

Kenneth Holland

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if there's a function where I can make my forum private?

Not permanently but in the beginning where I can have beta testers.

Thanks. :)

Ken

I think a main page would show, but no forums! They'd have to login to see the categories and forums.

Someone may correct me on this.....
If you restrict guest enough, they'll only see the log-in screen and nothing else.

You can also make it so only members you approve into X user group, can see things. So even if someone stumbles upon your site and registers, they'd see nothing until you move them into that user group.

You can take it 1 step further and even turn off registration.

edit: If you really want privacy, you could take it even 1 more step further and use .htaccess & restrict the whole site. But that would be taking it outside of XenForo.

I am sorry for butting in here but I also have the same question, we have to start a community with Xen and have teh staff eetc, what I also want is that we can work in peace setting things up, making categories, threads etc and installing addons and such stuff..
then when we are all set, open it to general public.

so basically is there a way where I can make the forum private.. so that only people I invite or send the link to are given access..
Tia.

Password protect the forum directory.
Only people with the password can enter that directory,others don't know what is there.
Thanks for a prompt reply, I will try your suggestion, but after carefully thinking about this can I ask again if there is a way that new members are only allowed to view or post if a designated person vets their account?
otherwise all they see is a blank or login screen ! ( or whatever )

Thanks for a prompt reply, I will try your suggestion, but after carefully thinking about this can I ask again if there is a way that new members are only allowed to view or post if a designated person vets their account?
otherwise all they see is a blank or login screen ! ( or whatever )

You can set it up so that an administrator has to approve the registration, if that didn't happen they would just see the login screen or no permission error I believe.

You can set it up so that an administrator has to approve the registration, if that didn't happen they would just see the login screen or no permission error I believe.
I am sorry that I am late in replying, but I thin this will not help in people not getting to see the forums.. coz this will not impede on the power of a user to just browse the forum..
I want it to be a total hush hush affair... where only me and my staff ( or the mods ) can see and work and yet no body can see anything..
the best logical thing that comes to my mind is that xen is installed in another folder and that address is not passed out, but then comes a confusion.. how can that installation be shifted to the main page !!! or th eroot or if we decide to use Wordpress in the front end?

I did exactly what you are talking about - used .htaccess to restrict access to a different directory.

This is the best way to do it, as Forum permissions can then be set to the same as the final installation will be.

When it comes time to change to the root or another directory, you can either move the entire installations...OR, as I did, install XF from scratch in the new folder and then copy either the style...or just go back and look at your settings and copy them.

Thank you a lot for taking time out and replying. I will use this method.
I did exactly what you are talking about - used .htaccess to restrict access to a different directory.

This is the best way to do it, as Forum permissions can then be set to the same as the final installation will be.

When it comes time to change to the root or another directory, you can either move the entire installations...OR, as I did, install XF from scratch in the new folder and then copy either the style...or just go back and look at your settings and copy them.

I tried to use this .htaccess method and then tried to browse the forum with another browser as a guest..
To my surprise I could see everything, I have disabled registrations and made the forum private for now..
Can you give me the exact code for that .htaccess method you used.. so that only registered and approved users can see anything beside the login page.
Thanks.

I tried to use this .htaccess method and then tried to browse the forum with another browser as a guest..
To my surprise I could see everything, I have disabled registrations and made the forum private for now..

If you already entered your .htaccess login once during your browser session then it will be saved. It is separate from your forum account. Use a different browser or relaunch your browser to test the .htaccess login.

Many hosts give you a hosting control panel like CPanel or Plesk. You can setup directory logins in those control panels. It's easier than doing it manually.

Thanks again, I also followed my and your suggested old idiom of protecting my directory ..
I think that is the best way.. now nobody can see the forum and I can work in peace.
If you already entered your .htaccess login once during your browser session then it will be saved. It is separate from your forum account. Use a different browser or relaunch your browser to test the .htaccess login.

Many hosts give you a hosting control panel like CPanel or Plesk. You can setup directory logins in those control panels. It's easier than doing it manually.

Top Bottom