Is a Xenforo CMS ever coming?

Rho Delta

Really looking forward to a core CMS even if I have to buy a separate license for it. The 3rd party blogs don't really do it for me and I don't want to manage a bridge to wordpress. Is this something that is on the roadmap for the future of xenforo? Most of the XF competitors have something like this as a core add on already...

It's not something we would ever comment on.
That policy has been in place since day one.

It's not something we would ever comment on.
That policy has been in place since day one.
I pray you guys never add the bloat. Your featured threads are more than enough to solve this issue for people. If you do create a real CMS i hope it's offered as an addon and not part of the core package. Just my 2cents.

Really looking forward to a core CMS even if I have to buy a separate license for it. The 3rd party blogs don't really do it for me and I don't want to manage a bridge to wordpress. Is this something that is on the roadmap for the future of xenforo? Most of the XF competitors have something like this as a core add on already...

How would you rate the quality of the other vendor's CMS packages? Would you consider IP.Content or vB suite to be a top-shelf, or best-of-breed, or as good as their forums? I consider them to be software that doesn't need to exist. I'd hate XenForo to add to that pile of junk. Yes, yes. I know they won't do what everyone else did and will make a CMS package every bit as good as their forums. Of course they will. I mean what could go wrong, right? Trying to please everybody pleases nobody. vB and IPS are perfect examples of this rule in action. Long live forums.

Pauls addon is probably the best CMS going for XenForo at the moment.

However if and when a CMS is developed as an official product it will be announced when deemed appropriate. As Paul said, no roadmaps or comments would be made otherwise.

I know I'm in the minority, but I would prefer a proper paid/premium WordPress plugin that provided SSO, post/comment/thread integration, etc, and and perhaps a WordPress theme that pulls from xenForo's back-end.

This is obviously not likely to come from the xF team, but partnering with an already established, open CMS framework would provide a lot more features than an in-house solution would.

Even if the XenForo team dropped everything and worked nonstop on a XenForo CMS for 18 months, it still wouldn't have the thousands of themes and plugins that Wordpress has. I'd rather see a supported Wordpress theme/integration.
Agreed. Or at least a proper API

I hate the thought of the opportunity cost of developing a fully integrated CMS. It's a lovely idea, and I don't necessarily object to the so-called "bloat" that some people complain about (which is rather misleading, it basically assumes that the XF developers are bad at their jobs). The biggest problem is that a full CMS is going to cost a lot of man hours that would otherwise be spent on the core forum platform.

I think a good integration with WordPress would be a far better solution. As mentioned above, even if the XF team worked like crazy and could release something that had feature-parity with WordPress, they still wouldn't have the giant collection of themes, plugins and thousands of blogs/webpages/etc with support or tips on the system. I mean, one of my favorite things about WordPress is that I can plug "wordpress <problem description>" into Google and have an immediate solution in the first 5 results.

A good API could facilitate the building of a bridge between any number of content management systems. And hey, with a high quality API, you can, as they say, eat your own dog food and use that same API to build a full CMS add-on if that becomes desirable.

I hate the thought of the opportunity cost of developing a fully integrated CMS. It's a lovely idea, and I don't necessarily object to the so-called "bloat" that some people complain about (which is rather misleading, it basically assumes that the XF developers are bad at their jobs). The biggest problem is that a full CMS is going to cost a lot of man hours that would otherwise be spent on the core forum platform.

I think a good integration with WordPress would be a far better solution. As mentioned above, even if the XF team worked like crazy and could release something that had feature-parity with WordPress, they still wouldn't have the giant collection of themes, plugins and thousands of blogs/webpages/etc with support or tips on the system. I mean, one of my favorite things about WordPress is that I can plug "wordpress <problem description>" into Google and have an immediate solution in the first 5 results.

A good API could facilitate the building of a bridge between any number of content management systems. And hey, with a high quality API, you can, as they say, eat your own dog food and use that same API to build a full CMS add-on if that becomes desirable.
@Brogan - They don't need to comment, but @Ridemonkey's post is definitely one worth seeing. I think the argument is sound and I hope the idea gets looked at :)

Personally (speaking as an individual license holder) I would have to disagree.

Anything to do with WP I would consider a waste of valuable development time and bloat.
It's not something I would ever use.

Anything to do with WP I would consider a waste of valuable development time and bloat.

Sure. A lot of people wouldn't, which is why building such big chunks of functionality isn't always a great idea for small companies.

That's the beauty of a good API. It's not CMS (and especially not WordPress) specific, instead providing for a wide variety of integrations, including CMS for those who want it.

Anyway, not trying to harp - I'm very pleased with my conversion to XenForo. But CMS gets mentioned a whole lot, and a full API would be a step towards those that want it, without cramming it down the throats of those who don't.

I think we may be trying to roll our own integration in the next several months so, down the road, I may either have stronger or weaker opinions on this depending on how it goes :D

Do you like/use any specific CMS? :)

Even if the XenForo team dropped everything and worked nonstop on a XenForo CMS for 18 months, it still wouldn't have the thousands of themes and plugins that Wordpress has. I'd rather see a supported Wordpress theme/integration.

Personally, i don't want a full featured cms. Also remember that Xenforo a Wordpress are two different ecosystems, many admin doesn't have the time to learn both and also take time to upgrade it (script, addons, security patches, optimization etc.) For me is sufficient a powerful article system like IP.Board with full integration with Xenforo. And please, don't suggest me XenPorta/Extraportal and Featured Threads. I think we all know the difference between a portal and a CMS...

Top Bottom