IPS 4 Preview is now available

Status
Not open for further replies.

imthebest

If inappropriate please a moderator remove this thread.
IPS 4 is now available as a preview at: http://zend.ipsdevserver.com/ips4/

It's slow, but clean, but again, it's slow. I think nothing compares to xenForo in terms of performance. Good work Mike! And I think it's the perfect time (from a marketing standpoint) to start showing what's coming to xenForo 1.4 (y)

I've written a small review here (and provided more feedback throughout the thread):
https://theadminzone.com/threads/account-registration-for-ips4-demo.116746/#post-833423

If anybody wants some screenshots, I have access to the preview site (though I can't obviously provide one for every small part of the site).

Basically, I wanted to like it but was underwhelmed.

That would be great if you could provide some screenshots. The thought of having to sign up nearly gave me a heart attack and had to quickly close the page down.

It's slow, but clean, but again, it's slow. I think nothing compares to xenForo in terms of performance. Good work Mike! And I think it's the perfect time (from a marketing standpoint) to start showing what's coming to xenForo 1.4 (y)

• It is running on Zend Server to allow us to log all errors and performance. This allows us to both fix bugs and to find slow queries or PHP code. It does mean this site can lag sometimes but that's not a reflection of IPS 4 itself but of all the logging going on in the background.
http://zend.ipsdevserver.com/ips4/topic/363-about-this-site/

Besides, it is a preview/alpha not released as a download. So comparing perfomance at this time is beyond stupid.

Error logging should not slow down the system that way. It's not stupid to compare performance at this time but if you want a more reasonable comparison then I can safely say that the xenForo preview was faster than this IPS preview.

Forum header:
forum-header.webp

Create button (can be used to create topic etc.)
create.webp

Notifications:
notifications.webp

Compose message:
compose-message.webp

Profile dropdown:
p-dropdown.webp

Profile page:
profile-page.webp

New content page:
nc-page.webp

Search:
squery.webp

Forum list view:
forum-view.webp

Thread list view:
thread-list.webp

Topic view:
topic.webp

Settings:
settings.webp

That would be great if you could provide some screenshots. The thought of having to sign up nearly gave me a heart attack and had to quickly close the page down.

Oh, hi Shelley. When did you get back?

I'm waiting for my account to be approved on it.

Oh, hi Shelley. When did you get back?

I'm waiting for my account to be approved on it.

Hi Liam, I've been in and out of here for a month now but merely as a guest nothing more. Yeah, i decided to sign up to check it out also and awaiting approval (hopefully IPS don't remember who I am). :p

At a glance, looking at those screenshots, I'm not......... *holds tongue until seeing it live* But I know how much screenshots can be deceiving.

Error logging should not slow down the system that way. It's not stupid to compare performance at this time but if you want a more reasonable comparison then I can safely say that the xenForo preview was faster than this IPS preview.
A reasonable comparison is when you install both software on same server.

Hi Liam, I've been in and out of here for a month now but merely as a guest nothing more. Yeah, i decided to sign up to check it out also and awaiting approval (hopefully IPS don't remember who I am). :p

At a glance, looking at those screenshots, I'm not......... *holds tongue until seeing it live* But I know how much screenshots can be deceiving.

I'm hoping the functionality of the board exceeds my thoughts my on the style :D

My screen sometimes wobbles in Chrome when I close the terms of use and privacy policy page windows on the register page. You have to click on the x in the corner to close it too, instead anywhere outside of the box like you can on most of those overlays which is a little annoying.

Looks like they're using mandrill to track the registration emails, I wonder if there's built in integration?

Hmmm...when continuing as a guest to the site when waiting to be verified I get an error. Not sure if it's just because I'm not verified or something else, not a very userfriendly error message.

upload_2014-6-30_20-52-50.webp

Now I'm in a continuous loop of logging in, being as to continue as a guest and then instead of letting me in as a guest it automatically logs me out again.

I guess that's as far as I can go for now! :sleep:

Is that editor redactor too? Same version as XF, or heavily modified?

In regards to 4.0
I am glad there is a little delay with the software release so I can discover more about IPB 4 and spend more time with Xenforo and Burning Board.

While I have little reason to convert from IP board...I do like to spend unbiased time with both software.
I highly doubt i'd convert back to Xenforo anytime soon(for several reasons) but I am glad to have something to sort of compare the two(plus BB which is more of a competitor for IPB with its feature set compared to XF forum only)

That "Create" or "Start new topic". I have been using it for months on my XF forum as a custom add-on. I wish it was standard in xenforo to begin with as it is great for new users who are not well versed with a forum structure.

That "Create" or "Start new topic". I have been using it for months on my XF forum as a custom add-on. I wish it was standard in xenforo to begin with as it is great for new users who are not well versed with a forum structure.
I hope there's also a free addon like that available here for XF :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom