IPS 4 Preview is now available

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't approved, don't feel I am missing much- what I can see certainly doesn't make me love it. I wish them luck with their software but I was never able to get used to IPB 3 and it doesn't look like 4 will be any different for me.

Responsive != flat. One is a methodology and an approach to design and the other is a style of design.
A lot of designs do tend to combine both, though. In general, I've never cared much for gradients and faux-3D effects. It doesn't appeal to everyone, but I do like that, at least by default, IPS4 will have a very simple look to it. The stock skin for IPB3 was rather heavy on the gradients, text shadows and other things that takes some time to completely strip out of the CSS.

A lot of designs do tend to combine both, though. In general, I've never cared much for gradients and faux-3D effects. It doesn't appeal to everyone, but I do like that, at least by default, IPS4 will have a very simple look to it. The stock skin for IPB3 was rather heavy on the gradients, text shadows and other things that takes some time to completely strip out of the CSS.
That doesn't mean they're the same thing, and by implying that they are you're creating confusion for people who do not know better.

Ahha, @BirdOPrey5 they definitely don't want other competitors to check out their software :)
Wasn't approved, don't feel I am missing much- what I can see certainly doesn't make me love it. I wish them luck with their software but I was never able to get used to IPB 3 and it doesn't look like 4 will be any different for me.

(LOL have to be careful what I say)

you do realize how ridiculous this sounds right?

1. Licensed customers(you know the people who actually support the company/software) are still awaiting approval, based on replies in the client area.

2. This Conspiracy seems flawed....What is the point of stopping competitors from registering, when any random joe can just make an account. Meaning it would make no sense to deny competitors when said competitors can just make a random account.

I do hope this was sarcasm Icewolf but if not...please let's get real because a lot of this is just truly petty.

IPS did the exact same thing with IPB3... The beta site was set to approval-only at first, then after a week or so, anyone could make an account. They'll be doing the same thing here.

I have an IPB license and I haven't even been approved onto the site yet. But I understand why they are doing it the way they are. First impressions mean everything, and letting anyone onto the site right now is going to raise assumptions that the slow speed and unfinished look is how the final product will be.

IPS did the exact same thing with IPB3... The beta site was set to approval-only at first, then after a week or so, anyone could make an account. They'll be doing the same thing here.

I have an IPB license and I haven't even been approved onto the site yet. But I understand why they are doing it the way they are. First impressions mean everything, and letting anyone onto the site right now is going to raise assumptions that the slow speed and unfinished look is how the final product will be.

That is what I wish people would realize....it's not pick & choose.

I am just glad that I was approved within 36 hours(registered Sunday morn and got approved Monday night).

Direct Quote From Lindy(Now watch someone try to spin this into some negative way :P)

Sometimes I don't know whether to laugh or cry at some of the things people come up with. :)

We haven't willfully declined any applications and there's no rhyme or reason to who gets approved first and who doesn't (though I may have manually approved a couple who threatened to harm bunnies. I have a soft spot for bunnies.)

We have, however, halted approvals to give the developers the opportunity to catch-up without a flood of duplicate reports and concerns that we're already aware of. We've received an immense amount of feedback this week and we want to implement the changes based on that feedback before allowing a flurry of new people in.

Of course, this isn't at all uncommon - I'm sure you've signed up for a beta or preview and received the "we'll contact you when we're ready" message. We're just allowing you to sign up now and approving you when we're ready instead of getting you on a mailing list to contact you later. I'll see about getting the signup notice changed to make that a bit more clear.

Sorry to disappoint - no conspiracy, nothing "fishy" and we're not even a little concerned about other companies seeing it. I have no idea who works for who these days. We've been doing this a long time and fully expect screenshots and information to be "leaked" before hitting submit. It's ok, really. :)

If your account hasn't been approved, don't despair and certainly don't take it personally - it will be when we're ready for more!

I mean, yes, I'm bummed I can't see IPS4 right now, but I'm perfectly okay waiting a few more days.

I clearly remember how many people complained about the original dev build of IPB3. It was slow, there were no gradients at the time, the rounded CSS elements weren't perfected... And many people took all that and posted about how "IPB 3 looks ugly" and failed to realize they were looking at, at best, a very early beta release.

That's not to say certain design decisions may already be finalized or more or less be ready to go, though. Many of the complaints people had about vB 4 when it was doing pre-release testing went unaddressed because vB 4 was designed to look a certain way from the start.

Last edited:
It's a shame that most of this thread hasn't actually been feedback (positive or negative) about what people have seen with the actual software. That's what I was really hoping people would focus on, and that feedback would have been useful/relevant to the XenForo community. Unfortunately, there's a lot of focus on procedural stuff (though I appreciate there's external influence on that) and less on the actual preview.

As such, this thread has run its course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom