IPS 4 Preview is now available

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like very much the new profile system with cover feature...it's a great idea! Hope to see this in the next Xenforo version.
I think it can be done by combining custom user fields and xenforo conditional.

I think it can be done by combining custom user fields and xenforo conditional.

There are 2 addons for the Cover feature...simply i doesn't like the current implementation. But surely it's only a question to customize the template...however, i think that now it's a "mainstream social feature" (that you can see on FB, Twitter and other social) that can make the Xenforo Profile more attractive (now is very clean and i like it, but a little "poor" IMHO). That's why i hope to see this feature implemented by default.

Having to register to see this is lame to be honest.

You have also to wait at least one day for the account confirmation! I registered yesterday and not confirmed now, lol. Very annoying...

BTW @Brogan ahha, they copied your idea about featured threads. :)

It is definitely a "coincidence" but regardless of that, putting featured topics into their core product was a very good move, despite the opinions on the matter.

You have also to wait at least one day for the account confirmation! I registered yesterday and not confirmed now, lol. Very annoying...
How is it "Annoying"?

They are trying to do a gradual adding of members. It's like a controlled focus group. Makes perfect sense to allow smaller amounts in.

it's also why they are releasing parts of the suite at once instead of throwing Chat, Content, downloads, etc etc all out there at once.

Pretty organize imo.

BTW @Brogan ahha, they copied your idea about featured threads. :)
LMAO "Copied" is such a strong word, since I am sure we can also use the word for several features of Xenforo.

I am not saying that to be rude or anything, just saying copied is a bit strong.

And how is it lame that you have to register to see this? To get a full experience, you should register. A guest can only do so much

I think it's a intelligent move. They see that the "Featured Thread" was a super popular addon on Xenforo. And so they have created something "official". Good move, IPB.

Interesting to me that I've never been a member of an IP Board. (Except for my own and the official support forum. Interesting because I've never disliked IPB.. I guess maybe the market share isn't as favorable as I gave credit for.. At any rate carry on, was just a personal observation.

I think it's a intelligent move. They see that the "Featured Thread" was a super popular addon on Xenforo. And so they have created something "official". Good move, IPB.

I'd hate to be labeled as aggressive again lol but that is probably a bit of hyperbole there....

Technically, one could argue IPS had this before Brogans addon.

They had the Best Answer feature that was established in 2012 in IPB 3.4
http://community.invisionpower.com/blog/1174/entry-8192-ipboard-34-dev-update-best-answer-feature/

Featured threads could be an evolution of an already existing feature.

Especially since Brogan's add-on was first released in December 2013.

So it is a bit of an exaggeration to think within 6 months they "Copied" a feature that came out in December.
Let's be a little more sensible with our replies guys :)

The best answer feature and my add-on are not at all related.

I think it's a good move to add it to the core.

Whether they saw the add-on and copied the idea or not is irrelevant - concepts and ideas are always adopted between platforms.

If they did see it and copy it then I'm flattered.
If they didn't and thought of it independently then great minds think alike.

As for being able to do it in 6 months, an experienced developer could easily get it developed in 6 weeks or even much less, depending on the functionality.

Featured Threads =/= Best Answer

/end of story. You can't even compare the two. Completely ridiculous.

Featured Threads =/= Best Answer

/end of story. You can't even compare the two. Completely ridiculous.

I said it is an evolution of an already existing feature. Not the same, but similar enough where it is more likely they evolved the initial idea instead of copying it. I just find it hilarious someone's first accusation is "Copy" without looking at it from a different pov. That's ridiculous imo.

best answer FEATURES a post that is featured at the top. Featured thread, features a thread at the top of the forums.

Both of the Features(Best answer and Featured threads for both XF/ipb) intent is to feature/showcase content.

"/end of story"

The best answer feature and my add-on are not at all related.

I think it's a good move to add it to the core.

Whether they saw the add-on and copied the idea or not is irrelevant - concepts and ideas are always adopted between platforms.

If they did see it and copy it then I'm flattered.
If they did see it and copy it then then great minds think alike.

Corrected.

Corrected.
Well if this is true, then XF can say they had a feature that the big guys copied. So I guess this is a win for the XF users? :rolleyes:

Though really using words like copied is a bit strong, since I am sure the same word can be applied to XF and isn't exactly fair to use here either lol

Well if this is true, then XF can say they had a feature that the big guys copied. So I guess this is a win for the XF users? :rolleyes:

I'm not an XF user. :) I don't have a hand in any forum product just to get that to you. :)

I think copied is satisfactory, it's true to being what it is but don't take that as a bad thing since I think it was a good move to include it into the core. It's essentially core material. Yeah, the featured threads makes a great add-on, it no doubt makes an even better core feature, which is why I liked the members post above when they said "it was an intelligent move". win/win

IPB just didn't say one day "oooh, feature topics- we have to include that into the core" without them viewing brogans featured thread and seeing how populour it is and how versatile and feature rich it as become. Believing anything less is too much of a stretch but again that's not a bad thing it's better to be included into the core with 5ml of honesty where the idea came from.

Anything else relating to "copying" will just be summarily removed. It's of no significance and is just going to kill this thread. If you want to debate this stuff, take it elsewhere.

If it's a good feature, there's no reason to not include it, regardless of where it came from.

Now so I don't come off as a Major IPB fanboy more than I already am, I will say the one thing I wish would have been inspiration(LOL) from xenforo is the instant notification feature the software has.

Currently in the 3.4 version we do not have instant notification but we have a hook(Had it for awhile actually...2 years I believe or at least sometime in 2013) that has been doing the same thing.

Unfortunately, it won't be apart of the Core of 4.0

It seems many users mentioned it being Core here(though I actually Liken it to Fb, since that is where I first saw it) and I am a bit disappointed that Charles is against adding it by default.

I do understand the reasoning behind it....worried about the resources it may use for clients on less than desirable hosts, but at the same time I do think it is a bit stubborn to not include it as an option for the clients who wish to toggle it on or off if they so desire(A fact many clients on the preview site have echoed)

That is one feature I can say XF does well and I wished inspired IPB...even if the feature technically came from Fb in the first place.

This thread is in danger of being closed due to the actions of one or two individuals.

Keep to the topic, avoid any personal attacks or outright bashing and make your posts constructive.
It's such a shame that discussions related to other software always end up with the thread being closed due to the same reasons.

Posts related to back seat moderating and questioning moderator actions are against the rules and will be deleted and the members in question warned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom