IPB to xF

Tempest

I've got one license of xF and I'm very happy with it right now, however I have another forum on IPB right now. I've got IP. Gallery and it's grown to become a very important aspect of my site, a very large percent of organic traffic on my forum comes from the gallery. What's keeping me from converting the forum to xF are two factors. First is 3.2 is around the corner and so far what IPB is promising with 3.2 is very good. I won't know until I can test 3.2 first hand but with the little teasers IPB has shown, xF still seems a tad more stream line than 3.2 when it comes to posting and user friendlyness. Second, how would I handle the gallery? I'm not asking for an official xF gallery - I know Kier and Mike are busy with the lawsuit and improving the forum itself... so in the end... what happens to my gallery if 3.2 doesn't meet my expectations and I decide to go with xF?

There is currently no gallery in XenForo and therefore the IPB importer does not import that content.

There are some add-on galleries being developed but whether they will have the capacity to import from other software, only the developers can answer.

About all you can do is keep the exisiting IPB database and gallery intact with a view to importing it at some time in the future.

Fast response as usual, thanks Brogan. If any of the devs of the gallery mods here are reading this, does your mod support gallery importing from IPB and if so, how difficult is it? Thanks.

You could keep your IPB site up with the gallery intact but use XF as your forum solution. It would be a pain, but at least you'll keep your organic traffic and keep your members happy.

That's a possible solution but the gallery set up makes that almost invalid as well. Only registered members can get "full access" to my gallery... and I doubt you can weave the DB so that the IP. Gallery works with xF registration unless you're some master whiz which I'm not. =/

I just remembered... there's also the issue with spam boards. If I recall correctly.. I saw no setting to disable post incrementation in specific forums for xF.

Fast response as usual, thanks Brogan. If any of the devs of the gallery mods here are reading this, does your mod support gallery importing from IPB and if so, how difficult is it? Thanks.
My gallery that is in development will have an importer framework built in... And given proper database / test cases it shouldn't be hard to import.

Top Bottom