1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.5 IP checker not working

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by Bionic Rooster, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Bionic Rooster

Bionic Rooster Well-Known Member

optrex likes this.
  2. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

Does this happen when you click the user's IP address?

What value do you have set in Admin CP > Options > External Service Providers > IP Information URL (IPv4) and IP Information URL (IPv6)?

3. Bionic Rooster

Yes and I have not touched this........ As far as I know it's always been this way
    Screenshot_1.jpg

4. Chris D

They are the default values.

We can't reproduce the image here so it's somewhat odd.

I can't think that any add-ons would be involved there, but I suppose it's possible.

5. Bionic Rooster

According to their site
    Data Sources and APIs
    Public IP Address
    Scripted access to our homepage or IP details pages are not permitted.

And it worked ok a week or so ago when I last checked a users IP. No add ons have been added before or since last xF update.

6. ozzy47

ozzy47 Well-Known Member

It does not happen on TAZ either, not sure what would cause it.

7. Chris D

This isn't scripted access, though.

We just redirect you to the URL specified in the options, e.g. http://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/8.8.8.8

8. Bionic Rooster

Don't know why it would say "No scripted access" when I click on a users IP.
    I sent an email to support@whatismyipaddress.com to see if they have a clue.

9. Chris D

10. Bionic Rooster

It happens on them all that I have tried including the one you provided above.
    I think I may have found the problem I'm using Firefox 44.0.2 and it won't access the IP link but I just tried Google Chrome and IE 9 and they both work fine.
    FF just updated the other day so that explains ( I guess) why it's not working now when it did before.
    Is there any way to go back a version in FF? Or I guess I'll have to wait till the next update to see if that fixes it.
    Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated :)

ozzy47 likes this.
  11. Chris D

I can't reproduce this in FF 44.0.2 either...

Do you have any browser extensions installed? Might be worth disabling them all and trying again.

12. Bionic Rooster

That's weird LOL Yeah I have a few like Firebug and Text Translator, I'll disable them and see if that works.
    Thanks for the suggestion ;)

13. Bionic Rooster

Nope disabling them didn't fix it

14. ozzy47

ozzy47 Well-Known Member

That's strange. Good thing though you still have the functionality in your other browsers..

Bionic Rooster likes this.
  15. Bionic Rooster

I got a response back from their support that wasn't helpful. They just said there was an hourly rate limit to prevent scrapping. Try again later. 2 hours later it still didn't work. :cry:
    Back to the drawing board I guess.........:sleep:

16. Chris D

It's something specific to you if it only affects you in one browser. Not sure what though.

17. Bionic Rooster

Their support seems to think it is some setting in my OS "it appears to be related to anti-DDoS features" I got an auto update about a week ago for Vista. Though I would think if it was OS related wouldn't it also affect Chrome and IE?

18. Bionic Rooster

@Chris D
    Update - tech support has found the problem at their end and have rolled out an update that has fixed the problem. They did not elaborate on what the problem was (I probably wouldn't know what they were talking about LOL) but it's working now and that's the main thing :)

19. optrex

optrex Active Member

20. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

Wonder if they are using a shared IP and the API is getting to many hits to it from that IP or if something is stripping the user agent when submitting the request?

Bionic Rooster likes this.