Fixed iOS 13.4: reaction tap always opens menu

Alternadiv

I noticed this after upgrading my iPhone to the new 13.4 software. I’m not sure if that is related.

Reactions on mobile used to give a like when you tap like and display the other reactions when you long press it. Now, tapping like automatically displays the reaction options. So, to just like a post, you need to tap the like button and then select like a second time.

That doesn’t seem intended.

I noticed this after upgrading my iPhone to the new 13.4 software. I’m not sure if that is related.

Reactions on mobile used to give a like when you tap like and display the other reactions when you long press it. Now, tapping like automatically displays the reaction options. So, to just like a post, you need to tap the like button and then select like a second time.

That doesn’t seem intended.
Yes can confirm

We have noticed this. It does seem to be some 13.4 change. We'll investigate.

(I know some people prefer it, but if we wanted to do it intentionally, it would behave more consistently -- at least across all touch devices.)
Awesome, thanks for not leaving it this way. :)

(I know some people prefer it, but if we wanted to do it intentionally, it would behave more consistently -- at least across all touch devices.)
Agreed, the inconsistency is not ideal. People have got used to clicking once and now after updating they have to click twice.

It should be more consistent, so click on the button on desktop and it opens the menu. tap on the button on mobile and it o-ens the menu.

That just seems the obvious and inutitive way it should be done and is consistent.

It should be more consistent, so click on the button on desktop and it opens the menu. tap on the button on mobile and it o-ens the menu.

That just seems the obvious and inutitive way it should be done and is consistent.
On desktop I don't think clicking is needed to open the menu as it opens up on hover.

I think it's right the default way it works as it's the same as facebook and the apple update has broken the functionality as it was designed by XF so I hope it gets fixed.

On desktop I don't think clicking is needed to open the menu as it opens up on hover.

That's true, which to me is inconsistent. Other menus, ie the navigation dropdowns, now need a click (the reason was to make this consistent with mobiles, and that is fair enough)

But the reactions should also be consistent therefore, which is why it should be

click or tap to open the menu
click or tap again to apply the chosen reaction.

very simple, very consistent

I think menus are different to reactions. We all have different opinions as to how the reactions should work.

I think as they look pretty similar to facebook reactions and they should work the same way as that's how most people expect it to work. That's the way XF designed them to work, and the latest update on apple has broken the functionality as it was designed.

I think menus are different to reactions. We all have different opinions as to how the reactions should work.
They may be different technically, but most users, who atren't developers, tend to think of them as a menu. It acts like a menu, ie a list of things to click or tap on.

I think as they look pretty similar to facebook reactions and they should work the same way as that's how most people expect it to work.
OK, but xenforo isn't Facebook. Why do something just because something else does it. Why not be better and more consistent?

Part of the reason people come to my forum is the so-called alternatives (groups on Facebook) are not as good or useful as forums. So why copy them?

They may be different technically, but most users, who atren't developers, tend to think of them as a menu. It acts like a menu, ie a list of things to click or tap on.
The reactions "menu" is actually a tooltip and therefore works consistently with other tooltips across the software.

OK, but xenforo isn't Facebook. Why do something just because something else does it. Why not be better and more consistent?
We do think it's better, that's why we designed it that way.

But, regardless, this isn't a discussion about which way is better or worse.

The simple fact is, we designed it to be one-tap = like and hold-tap = reactions tooltip and it no longer works like that on iOS. So the point of consistency is not between desktop and touch, it's actually it works differently on iOS devices to what it does on all other touch devices, and on iOS devices no longer works as designed whereas on all other devices it does.

So the fix at this time will be to return the behaviour to how it was on iOS.

We don't need any further discussion about it because this is a bug report.

Thank you for reporting this issue, it has now been resolved. We are aiming to include any changes that have been made in a future XF release (2.1.10).

Change log:
Make sure that iOS opens reactions on long press (consistent with previous versions and other mobile devices).
There may be a delay before changes are rolled out to the XenForo Community.

Top Bottom