Invite all of you to try out new addon: XenGallery

My gallery is in the old "gallery" php software, but someday I want to install something like this add-on....

My idea would be to have a gallery where users can put all their photos BUT, most of those photos would not be in the main gallery - you'd have to go to the user's profile or a link in their sig, etc. if you wanted to see their galleries.

However, pics could be "promoted" by moderators and certain appointed users to be in one of the Main Galleries, so that only hand-picked "best" photos would be in the really public parts of the gallery.

This is more like how Panaramio and even google earth photos work - the photos are actually approved by volunteers and staff members.

Could we do this with the stock add-on, or would some customization be needed???

I am now able to edit my album on your site.

I noticed that I can't change the title of pics that I've uploaded. Can you add that feature in or am I just not figuring out how?

That's awesome!

Now waiting for overlay view with comments and panels informations etc for the photos :D

But please NEVER add watermark the photos. Because that is not correct and bad feature for personal albums. If FB has watermark, most of people never upload their photos.

I think WATERMARK or some copyrights notes like what Flickr does is very important. At least it should be given as an option for users to choose - whether to put their names in the pics or anyone who want to use anyone else's photos should ask for permission. I know a lot of users really care about their copyrights - especially some higher quality photos.

@sonnb, I gave it a quick try on your site yesterday, not sure how your search worked with the Gallery. It seems like it couldn't find any related pic if I type in say, 'flower' or 'Canon', which are in the titles of some of the pics...

Also, have you considered allow users to add tags for pics, like Flickr did?

My gallery is in the old "gallery" php software, but someday I want to install something like this add-on....

My idea would be to have a gallery where users can put all their photos BUT, most of those photos would not be in the main gallery - you'd have to go to the user's profile or a link in their sig, etc. if you wanted to see their galleries.

However, pics could be "promoted" by moderators and certain appointed users to be in one of the Main Galleries, so that only hand-picked "best" photos would be in the really public parts of the gallery.

This is more like how Panaramio and even google earth photos work - the photos are actually approved by volunteers and staff members.

Could we do this with the stock add-on, or would some customization be needed???
You could promote albums/photos with featured widget (later). For gallery itself, I refer to not make it only available in user profile page.

I am now able to edit my album on your site.

I noticed that I can't change the title of pics that I've uploaded. Can you add that feature in or am I just not figuring out how?
Only Album has a title. Photo only has description :D
@sonnb, I gave it a quick try on your site yesterday, not sure how your search worked with the Gallery. It seems like it couldn't find any related pic if I type in say, 'flower' or 'Canon', which are in the titles of some of the pics...

Also, have you considered allow users to add tags for pics, like Flickr did?
That feature is being developed.

I think WATERMARK or some copyrights notes like what Flickr does is very important. At least it should be given as an option for users to choose - whether to put their names in the pics or anyone who want to use anyone else's photos should ask for permission. I know a lot of users really care about their copyrights - especially some higher quality photos.

Well, nice if at least it should be given as an option for users to choose then it is okay, would be awesome but if it not be given as an option, for users to choose then it will be bad. You said, "I know a lot of users really care about their copyrights" however a lot of users really don't core it copyright too.

Well, nice if at least it should be given as an option for users to choose then it is okay, would be awesome but if it not be given as an option, for users to choose then it will be bad. You said, "I know a lot of users really care about their copyrights" however a lot of users really don't core it copyright too.

........however a lot of users really don't core it copyright too
Wow, wait a second, really? They don't mind their photos, whatever graduation photos, kid's photos, or professional photographs, being posted everywhere and allowing other people to randomly use them or even get chances to abuse them? Or do you mean a lot of users really don't care about other people's copyright but only care about their own copyright? Or do you mean you support the perspective that COPY IS RIGHT ? :rolleyes:

To respect other people's original work is one way to encourage people to create or invent things which benefit others or the society as a whole. Like in Xenforo, many add-on developers chose providing free add-on and service to the community to help other users while other developers chose to charge for add-on. Both are rational choice and both should be protected by the community. And that's why even for many of the free add-ons, you still have to get permission or even pay a little to remove the branding info.

If you wanted other people to respect your copyrights (for example: your add-on), then you should respect others' copyright as well. That's what I believe.

Wow, wait a second, really? They don't mind their photos, whatever graduation photos, kid's photos, or professional photographs, being posted everywhere and allowing other people to randomly use them or even get chances to abuse them? Or do you mean a lot of users really don't care about other people's copyright but only care about their own copyright? Or do you mean you support the perspective that COPY IS RIGHT ? To respect other people's original work is one way to encourage people to create or invent things which benefit others or the society as a whole. Like in Xenforo, many add-on developers chose providing free add-on and service to the community to help other users while other developers chose to charge for add-on. Both are rational choice and both should be protected by the community. And that's why even for many of the free add-ons, you still have to get permission or even pay a little to remove the branding info. If you wanted other people to respect your copyrights (for example: your add-on), then you should respect others' copyright as well. That's what I believe.

Really lol. Well, I don't see it that way but I also don't think this because if there is an option view permission (like this) for followers, then there is no need watermark-copyright etc. for the photos. However it's no problem now cause as we said at least it should be given as an option for users to choose then it is okay. As a matter of fact, Add-on copyright is very different from the photo copyright. So, the photos individuality and privacy are not important to everyone (at least not all). Please note I always respect everyone's copyright/privacy.

Add-on copyright is very different from the photo copyright. So, the photos individuality and privacy are not important to everyone (at least not all).
Add-on copyright might be different from photo copyright, but respecting the originality of photo creations is as important as that of add-ons. I can't say I could get more out of an add-on I PURCHASED which didn't work at all(;)) than out of a beautiful photo, which user created and posted as freely viewable on any site.

Mark Zuckerberg has always paid least attention to users' privacy/copyright since the very beginning of FB. So if you wanted to follow Facebook's philosophy, lure business to your site by giving away protections of users' copyright and privacy, you might feel it is not necessary to enroll the mark of copyright that come with any add-on related to photos. In my opinion, not giving concrete ways to help users protect their own creations is very unethical. It is users'
choice to decide whether they want to add mark of copyright on their original photographs, but it is website administrators' essential duty to provide copyright protection option for users to choose at least. And with that, more serious and good quality users would treat that site as a trustable one.

@sonnb did you wrote that JS that lines up all the blocks? I've noticed that it waits till all the images are loaded. But this is not very efficient. Instead, you could just set width and height attributes to img elements (I suppose that's not really hard to get them) so blocks height won't change when all images are loaded. And that way you won't need to wait for a complete load anymore, you just need to load html and css.

@sonnb did you wrote that JS that lines up all the blocks? I've noticed that it waits till all the images are loaded. But this is not very efficient. Instead, you could just set width and height attributes to img elements (I suppose that's not really hard to get them) so blocks height won't change when all images are loaded. And that way you won't need to wait for a complete load anymore, you just need to load html and css.

Like this? http://www.8thos.com/pages/kongregate/

shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

LOL!

Great work so far!

I'm probably getting XenMediaGallery by @Chris Deeming because he already has responsive and videos working. The user albums and tagging options of this gallery is still dope though.

Top Bottom