Lack of interest Intuitive flood system

• Thread starter Thread starter Floris
  • Start date Start date
This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
F

Floris

Currently it seems the flood system is only splitting staff from users, where if a user posts within x seconds they get a popup.

However, this feature is solely (in my opinion) to stop flooders, spammers, etc from abusing the forums.

Regulars, premium members, and such are known in the community, experienced, and if they would be flooding nonsense and spamming - then the mods would have (should have) stepped in already.

Therefor I think it's punishment for those who know what they're doing, and a bit invalid. The easy way is to of course request to have this limit per group. However, I believe a more intuitive anti-flood system might be more enjoyable.

I am thinking of say, a grace-% for those over x, y, or z postcount, for certain usergroups perhaps. So those who are just active, helping out a lot on sites, writing and replying to newbie content, and what not, don't get bothered ~much~ by the x seconds flood limit, but if there's a second or two left to go, and they qualify, the grace % would not complain to them, and give them an exception. To avoid abuse of this, the % gets added to the next post, or at least reset it to the normal time. This should catch the flooders still, but those few times you are just a second away - the system smiles at you and lets your post go through.

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Kinda like the recaptcha popup system on facebook or youtube where after a certain amount it comes back just to make sure you are human. On youtube after you post like 5 comments quickly it askes you to fill out the recaptcha.

But not gracefully?

The biggest annoyance with flood control is those regulars that once in a while get told: 1 more second, try again later .. *ARGH*

It's a nice sign to slow it down or come back later, which is fine .. But usually it goes fine for 15 posts, then the one where you get that last second that bums you out. For regulars, this should have leeway, is my opinion.

Anyway, thanks for reading, considering. I hope at some point it makes it in. ^_^

One way to make flood checks more flexible is to allow x posts in y time. So if you currently allow one post every 20 seconds, and instead of that, allow 3 posts every 60 seconds, then I can post two or three posts in rapid succession, but I still won't hit the limit and annoyance as easily.

Yeah, that's how youtube does it. After you post like 5 comments really fast, a recaptcha pops up asking for re-verification. That's a nice system as yotube is really used.

One way to make flood checks more flexible is to allow x posts in y time. So if you currently allow one post every 20 seconds, and instead of that, allow 3 posts every 60 seconds, then I can post two or three posts in rapid succession, but I still won't hit the limit and annoyance as easily.
This seems simple yet fair for both sides as it should be.

Asking a logged in user to captcha to fight spam is the most ridiculous thing ever. You are already authed, stop doubting me. i tend to stop posting on sites that treat their users like that.

Asking a logged in user to captcha to fight spam is the most ridiculous thing ever. You are already authed, stop doubting me. i tend to stop posting on sites that treat their users like that.

If I hit a flood limit, I'd prefer filling out a quick CAPTCHA (3 seconds) than sitting there and waiting 30 seconds to resubmit my post.

Yeah when it says i have to wait 20 seconds, my brain automatically tries resubmitting and and to no avail seeing 15 Seconds -> 10 Seconds -> 8 Seconds -> 4 Seconds -> Post submitted

The recaptcha option seems more viable and that's how big sites like facebook and youtube does it and no complains there.

Personally, I think flood control is a bit useless anyway. Spambots will still spam your board even if they have to wait 20 seconds between each post, so that's not really useful. You could also just set your flood control to a lower amount (like 10 sec), most people won't notice that as much.

If I hit a flood limit, I'd prefer filling out a quick CAPTCHA (3 seconds) than sitting there and waiting 30 seconds to resubmit my post.

haha, sorry, people that want to fill out captcha .. yikes, no thanks :D

It would be best to keep this software lightweight and not bloat it. Instead I hope this software is very modular and a simple 2 second module can be made that can be plugged in for those that want extra options like:
* x amount of posts after x amount of seconds (on/off ) per usergroup (with settings: captcha, wait the time out, etc.)
* standard flood control per usergroup setting with a setting to choose a custom time for each.

I think the system could use improvement but not at this tine, there are far better things they could be spending time on then upgrading the flood control system. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom