Fixed Internet Explorer 11: cannot post reply

Wildcat Media

Affected version
2.0 beta 5
I had our test forum on Beta 2 or Beta 3, and have upgraded to Beta 5. One of our staff still uses IE to access the forum, and has not been able to post a reply--pressing the Post Reply button results in nothing. It's as though the button is dead. He is using Windows 7. I still have IE on my Win 10.2 laptop and it, too, results in a dead button. My IE is bone stock (as I never use it, except for testing)--no add-ons, nothing special about it.

Let me know if there is any other information needed.

I will add that it is erratic on my computer. Sometimes it works. Other times, "Post reply" is dead. I tried a force-reload of the page (which reloads everything, despite anything that is cached) but it made no difference.

Is this something you'd be able to reproduce on the forum here (perhaps post some threads / replies in the Test messages forum)?

I'm posting in IE11 right now and it seems ok.

Is this something you'd be able to reproduce on the forum here (perhaps post some threads / replies in the Test messages forum)?

I tried to reproduce this yesterday and three times in a row VMWare Fusion decided to crash the machine with a kernel panic. I left this report alone after that ;)

It might be a couple of days--when I get home from this trip, I will be in a better place to try to reproduce it. I might see if I can capture any JS errors also. I haven't used IE in so long that I've forgotten how to change the settings in it. ;)

I tried to reproduce this yesterday and three times in a row VMWare Fusion decided to crash the machine with a kernel panic. I left this report alone after that ;)
It's IE... It's taken me over 24 hours to pluck up the courage to even look at it ;)

It might be a couple of days--when I get home from this trip, I will be in a better place to try to reproduce it. I might see if I can capture any JS errors also. I haven't used IE in so long that I've forgotten how to change the settings in it. ;)
Would be useful, thanks. Just browse around with the developer tools open (F12). The console tab would usually be the place such errors are logged.

If it doesn't fall over here, but it still falls over on your test site then try it on an unmodified, default style (you can recreate that by creating a new style with no parent).

Actually, one thing to check, do you include any ads in your style? Particularly any within the post content itself?

It's IE... It's taken me over 24 hours to pluck up the courage to even look at it ;)
When I found out, I was like, "Really...do I have to?" :D But when it's the forum owner who can't get make a post, that kind of changes things. ;)

If it doesn't fall over here, but it still falls over on your test site then try it on an unmodified, default style (you can recreate that by creating a new style with no parent).

Actually, one thing to check, do you include any ads in your style? Particularly any within the post content itself?
This one is pretty much bone stock--it is our private testing/staff forum. The only add-on running is Enhanced Search, and all I did to the new theme is change some of the color palette. No ads there either. I will try with a new style (no parent) and see if anything changes.

OK, I am back home. I updated to Beta 6--no change. I have created a new, no-parent style, and no change there either. The forum owner runs on Windows 7, and I am on the latest Windows 10.

Here is how I recreate the problem, at least on my computer. I have an existing "test" thread. If I go right to the reply box and enter a message, I can post it. But if I try to post a second message, it fails, and nothing happens when the button is clicked on.

Apparently the forum owner can't reply at all--the message is typed in, but the button is dead.

This is all I get from the console:

1507867774650.webp

The first warning points to this line (the second warning points to a similar line):

HTML:
<!--[if lt IE 9]><div class="blockMessage blockMessage--important blockMessage--iconic">You are using an out of date browser. It  may not display this or other websites correctly.<br />You should upgrade or use an <a href="https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/" target="_blank">alternative browser</a>.</div><![endif]-->

None of the developers appear to be able to reproduce the issue, so we're still unsure this comment warning is affecting anything.

We can get you to further test that, though by editing the browser_warning_macros template and just removing the following like:
HTML:
<!--[if lt IE 9]><div class="blockMessage blockMessage--important blockMessage--iconic">{{ phrase('you_are_using_out_of_date_browser_upgrade') }}</div><![endif]-->
Can you still reproduce the issue then?

If you can we need to try both of these things:
  1. Can you reproduce the issue here in our Test Messages forum?
  2. Can we get access to the test installation so we can test it ourselves?

Here is an interesting development. One of our staff uses a Safari browser. Whenever he pastes in a link, the link gets duplicated. Rather than http://www.domain.com it ends up pasting as http://www.domain.comhttp://www.domain.com . He also had an issue where he pasted text from our public XF 1.5 forum to the test XF 2.0 forum, and it pasted in with odd "special characters" and all run together, like this:

1508081397029.webp

Something tells me the problems all might be related. Something is screwy with our configuration, I bet. Just to be clear, the only add-on is Enhanced Search, and all I did was import our XF 1.5 to XF 2.0. And, using a stock theme.

@Chris D I will get some credentials your way shortly. Maybe we can figure out if it's some incompatibility between our server setup and XF 2.0. I don't think I am doing anything unusual, though--just the usual Apache/PHP configuration.

In our old XF 1.x installation, many years ago, Kier fixed a very minor problem where the XenForo logo was not animated when we would log in to the admin panel. There was some quirk in our setup that caused it, and Kier was able to fix it. It was so minor, I bet he would not even remember it. ;)

OK, here is some strange behavior.

If I go to the thread, the reply box empty, and try to post a message, nothing happens.

If I save it as a draft, and try to post, nothing happens.

If I then reload the page, and try to post, the message (the saved draft) posts.

If I type another reply and try to post, nothing happens.

Rinse, repeat, etc. Any time I save it as a draft, then reload the page, I can post a message. Otherwise, nothing. Captured this on video, although it won't help. I notice when pressing "Post reply" the first time, the space increases between the share links and the bottom breadcrumb.

The forum owner is getting quite annoyed that he can't post in the test/staff forum...

Top Bottom