1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intergration with off-site e-mail services (Mandrill, Amazon SES, etc...)

Discussion in 'XenForo Suggestions' started by nrep, Jan 5, 2016.

1. nrep

nrep Well-Known Member

For larger forums, sending e-mail via Mandrill, Amazon SES and other e-mail services can be very useful. It offloads work from the server and provides a more reliable method of mail delivery (as it is sent from managed, trusted IPs).

These services also provide excellent bounce handling, which can be integrated via simple webhooks.

There is an excellent addon already that does this, but it is so useful that it could really be a core feature.
    gfc, Nuno, RoldanLT and 1 other person like this.
  2. thedude

thedude Well-Known Member

We send via Mandrill. We built our own add-on that uses webhooks for automated bounce handling (like you mentioned), and also to be notified when a member reports our mail as spam.

Our addon also lets us specify Mandrill subaccounts, so all of our sites' emails are cleanly categorized by site whenever we need to log into Mandrill.

We may release it to the community here, though I think a couple of existing addons do something very similar to ours.

+1 if some of these features could be generalized and added to the XF core.
    Mouth, gfc, thomas1 and 2 others like this.
  3. nrep

nrep Well-Known Member

Nice work @thedude - I would be extremely interested if you release this addon! :D
  4. Mert

Mert Well-Known Member

I was checking the other mandrill integration however yours sound way more compatible with our needs. If you ever plan to release , feel free to notify me :)

I also would like to see this covered with Xenforo 2.0