Interested in Starting a Forum.

KyleD

I want to start a hobby based forum using XF2.

The domain I want is available I just want to make sure I get enough storage/power etc. can anyone help guide me? I’m tech savvy but certainly not a programmer by any means.

I have responded to your ticket.

As far as server specs/hosting packages are concerned, basic shared hosting is adequate for a new site.

You can always upgrade as required.

I had the same reservations at first.

Don't be too worried about not being a programmer. I can't program either, but I can read and understand code to a degree.

Doesn't take long to pick that sort of thing up at a basic level either (reading and understanding code), as it's all in plain English.

Xenforo and Theme Developers have done an outstanding job of making it nice and easy to work around (and if you want to get down and dirty at a code level you can too).

If you are using a shared host, make sure it's a good quality one rather than a big name which is often oversold (or have restrictions on things).

Another hot tip is if you are only intending to server say users in Canada, or Hawaii, or Japan, use a company with servers located in that local region, as it'll be faster for them to access.

I'm running on a shared hosting plan, but it's a 6GB Hex Core CPU running on NVMe SSD Storage with a set contention ratio.

Be prepared for a big ride.
You have to learn how to use XF
You have to be a mod
How to use email servers and dmonain name hosts
And you have to learn how your web host works.
You have to have a strong heart incase your site goes down, and you don't know what caused it.
My suggestion is don't get a web host with a very cheap introductory offer.
They will either not be able to give you any support
Or it will cost you a lot more in the second year.

As stated, shared hosting is good enough for just starting out. May I suggest Hawkhost? If you use my referral link here, that'd be greatly appreciated if you do decide to go with them, i've been on their shared plan for roughly 10 years now and their support has always been helpful. Downtime is minimal as well.

Again, if you do decide to sign up with Hawkhost, please consider using my referral link here: https://my.hawkhost.com/aff.php?aff=1537 as it would give me a small kick back and help me out for bringing in new customers. :)

Top Bottom