Starting a second forum - questions

Where is the suffix .txt that I move?
Sorry I don't remember exactly as its been so long, but as far as I recall the default install includes the htaccess.txt file in the root of the file system. It only works once you rename it to .htaccess which is what you may need to do if your friendly URLs don't work

I believe inside that file are actually instructions on how you may need to edit it to make it work, I think includes uncommenting some lines of code.

There is probably more info in the manual.

Ok thanks. Maybe I'll just start a thread on that one topic then :) I'm a bit nervous about altering things in the server files. Actually no, I already did start a thread on it! I'll try posting on it again.

Last edited:
Think I've got everything ticketty-boo now :) . Just ticked to use friendly URL's and that sorted it. No need to do anything to htaccess. Google code entered and signed up with Google Analytics and Google Ads. So forum all set up and ready to go - except. Probably could do to tweak the code of conduct and make it more visible. And could do with a better logo (working on that).

Also can't quite decide whether to have the Home page (AMS Articles) appear first or the forums page appear first.

Also how do I edit that bit at the bottom - where it says Community Platform by Xenforo - I added a disclaimer to that bottom bit last time - but can't remember how I did it?!

Apart from the look of my logo, I need to somehow optimise it for mobile view. It doesn't matter how big I set it, it comes out the same size in mobile view and isn't readable

So the forum has been set up for a few days and I get a google bot and a couple of guests viewing most days. Tonight I have 50 guests viewing! FIFTY! They can't all be bots can they? Three pages of them.

So the forum has been set up for a few days and I get a google bot and a couple of guests viewing most days. Tonight I have 50 guests viewing! FIFTY! They can't all be bots can they? Three pages of them.
View the current visitors list. It will tell you its its a guest or a bot.

Also having an issue with moving posts. If I move a post to a different thread, it appears at the top instead of the bottom, pushing the introductory thread down. I'm sure this didn't happen on my other forum.

View the current visitors list. It will tell you its its a guest or a bot.
It says guest for all of them except 1 google bot. I did have google ads start today so that might be to do with it but seems strange to have 50 all around the same time.

Also having an issue with moving posts. If I move a post to a different thread, it appears at the top instead of the bottom, pushing the introductory thread down. I'm sure this didn't happen on my other forum.
Normal behavior... new posts go to the top of the thread list. You want it to stay at the top, make it a sticky.

It says guest for all of them except 1 google bot. I did have google ads start today so that might be to do with it but seems strange to have 50 all around the same time.
Not really... you can have several of the same bot visiting. Invariably when I push a post out to my FB page, I end up with 3-4 FB bots visiting very shortly afterwards... and AHREFS used to hit 6-10 bots at a time until I started blocking them. You can check the IP of each guest and see where they resolve back to.

Cheers. I used Andy's "change date" addon and moved the post.
EVERY post you make in there is going to have that issue. Is there a reason your "introductory" thread can't be a sticky? That's what most do for important threads that need to stay at the top of the list without having to change the date every time a new thread is started in that area... which changing the date can cause its own issues unless special efforts are made by to exclude the changed date post from "New" status for users.

Hi - yes I can sticky threads :-) This was a particular thread and it was the post order I needed to change. I started the thread with an introductory post. But moved something from another thread into that thread and it came up at the top (as had been posted earlier than my post originally) so my introductory post moved down. Changing the date on my post sorted it :) . It's only just up and running and only one other member ha ha - who is getting the hang of where to post things so I have to keep moving them.

Once more.. I want to emphasize the power of making a thread a sticky instead of modifying post dates.

Once more.. I want to emphasize the power of making a thread a sticky instead of modifying post dates.
The way I'm reading it is in this case it was the post order within the thread, not the thread order within the thread list. So if you move an old post to a new thread, it becomes the OP, not waht you really want.

That's right. Last thing I need to sort out is adding a disclaimer to the footer area. I did this on my other forum and can't remember what I did! Can't seem to work out how to add text to the footer. I seem to remember there were options to add forum statistics to the footer as well.

Thank you. I thought there was somewhere else as well though, a section that opened up allowing you to choose which widgets show in the footer?

Top Bottom