- How customizable is the editor? IPB uses a heavily modified CKEditor, and while you can customize its appearance, adding functionality (can be done through the bbcode manager, but everything added gets lumped into a single menu), adding buttons, changing the layout, and so on is close to impossible.
- I'm looking for user account integration between MediaWiki and xF (e.g. MW accounts automatically created upon xF account creation, account settings are linked between MW and xF, etc). I don't need the themes to automatically match. Is this plausible?
- The fact that xF lacks a CMS is fine with me... I still need a CMS though. What CMS would you recommend that I could best integrate with xF, like with MediaWiki?
- What exactly is the resource manager? It seems to be similar to IP.Downloads. I was planning on opening up a music downloads area on my site that producers and label owners could use to offer up their songs for free or link to where they could be purchased, etc. One problem though is that the versioning system can't be disabled.
- Can xF utilize Sphinx search? I don't need an automated script that generates search settings like IPB has (but if there is one, that would be splendid).
- How could I add calendar functionality to xF, or integrate a 2nd/3rd party calendar system?
- How could I add gallery functionality to xF, or integrate a 2nd/3rd party gallery system?
- How could I add store functionality to xF, or integrate a 2nd/3rd party store system?
- How well does xF work with SSL (HTTPS)? Are there any quirks? With IPB, I could get everything to transfer over SSL except for parts of IP.Gallery; if a gallery image was on a page, the result was partial encryption.
- What's the scope of xF official support? Does it only cover technical issues, or does it extend to other areas as well like customization?
- What's the learning curve of developing for xF? I have some knowledge of PHP, SQL, and JS albeit not much.
Edit: For whatever it's worth, what I install would go on a VPS (CentOS 6.4 x64, 1GB physical memory, 2 cores on an Xeon processor, 20GB disk space/around 15GB with OS installed, Apache 2.4, MySQL 5.5, PHP 5.4)