Installing an add on

Firstly, please forgive me if this is already a thread somewhere, I have looked but nothing came of my search.
As stated in a previous message, I am to forums what salt is to ice... Lethal.
I have managed to install my forum on my database and even popped a few colour changes on it. This wasn't so bad. Then it all went difficult on me :(

Firstly, I was trying to add a banner image as a header, this messed up the appearance of the forum and popped a couple of big arrows on top of the navigation area (Where it says home>forums...)
Is there something obvious I have done wrong, css etc is foreign to me but I do try.

Secondly, I thought I'd be clever and install a couple of add ons. Tapatalk and bump topic to be precise. So I download them from here and unzip them to a file. Open Filezilla and set up the ftp, transferring the relevant 'upload' file to my Xenforo folder on my ftp. I then go to the ACP on my forum and click 'Install add on'. Opening the relevent xml file to the add on and pressing go. From here on a dark cloud loomed and I got some nasty messages...
error.webp
I would assume this is not normal and I have made some sort of faux pas along the way. So I go back to the original 'List add ons' page, low and behold...
add ons.webp

The foolish side of me believes that this is great and there must have been a problem that self resolved, but the realist in me tells me there is something wrong here. A quick uninstall and re-install to make sure I wasn't being a complete muppet but alas, no.

So, is there anything logic that I have done wrong (apart from tried to be clever) and has anyone any suggestions at all?

Many thanks,
Mart.

By looking at the screenshot it looks like those add ons have been installed. Can you check their settings and see if they work?

On the other hand the error message means that their folders have not been uploaded properly. You should upload the add ons folders inside your xenforo forum root maintaining the structure intact. Can you post a screenshot of your library folder inside your forum root?

About the banner issue, can you post the link to your forum?

It would be best to set up a test forum and practice there until you get the hang of things btw. Like that you will not mess up your main forum.

And welcome to xenforo btw :)

Thanks for the welcome. The forum is in development stage still, active on a URL but not yet for members, they are still slumming it out in PHPbb.
The forum it's self is on... http://www.anglinguk.org/xenforo/xenforo_1.1.3_A1C268F57C_full/upload/index.php
The header image is the little icon that refreshes the page, I have just re-positioned it a bit.
None of the installed add ons work so I can assume it is all very wrong.
When you say the library folder, there is only one folder that is called Xenforo and it doesn't expand into anything other than the bits I have added myself.

file manager1.webp

Apologies for all the other tat in my file manager, it is definitive of my lack of ability!
Hopefully this may shed some light on what I am doing, or not doing as the case may be.

Thanks for the welcome. The forum is in development stage still, active on a URL but not yet for members, they are still slumming it out in PHPbb.
The forum it's self is on... http://www.anglinguk.org/xenforo/xenforo_1.1.3_A1C268F57C_full/upload/index.php
The header image is the little icon that refreshes the page, I have just re-positioned it a bit.
None of the installed add ons work so I can assume it is all very wrong.
When you say the library folder, there is only one folder that is called Xenforo and it doesn't expand into anything other than the bits I have added myself.

View attachment 34428

Apologies for all the other tat in my file manager, it is definitive of my lack of ability!
Hopefully this may shed some light on what I am doing, or not doing as the case may be.

In what folder at your server space are you uploading the mod folders? They should be uploaded inside the upload folder which in itself is inside the xenforo_1.1.3_A1C268F57C_full folder.

Told you I am a genius, I was just uploading them to the Xenforo folder but not a specific sub folder/directory. I shall delete the install and the put it in the right place!
Thanks for explaining the way, I will be buying the other add on's once I have these in place.

Cheers,

Mart.

I have got back to this now. Spent the whole weekend doing a fund raiser.
So I went to upload to the correct directory as mentioned above and it still doesn't work.
This is driving me to insanity, I know it must be straight forward but where on earth am I going wrong?

Via FTP, I am transferring the file 'upload' from the add on I downloaded.
It is getting transferred to the 'Upload' file on my Xenforo install.
This says successfully transferred and all is well.
I go into my XF ACP and open the install add ons bit.
Select the XML file form the add on download and press install.
Here I get the following message...

install.webp
error.webp

Please tell me I am being simple and missing something very straight forward here!
Sorry for being a numpty and not understanding. :notworthy:

Don't worry it's easy to get confused.

I've actually released an add-on called the Add-On Installer which was designed for this exact reason. The idea of that is, you install it (which I appreciate can be tricky!) but after you have done that, most add-ons can be installed simply by going to Admin CP > Add-On Installer > Browse > then you just browse your computer for the add-on zip file. No need to upload anything via FTP. No need to worry about the XML file. It is all done automatically :)

However, from what you've described above the problem in this particular case is:

You shouldn't have an upload file in your XenForo install. What you need to do is take the contents of your upload file and put them simply in the root of your XenForo file.

Aha! I have installed your fantastic Install add on program and instantly installed the 'most users online' add on. Works a treat and is perfect for people like me. It won't install the 'Bump-a-thread' add on saying the following message...'Please enter a valid file name. The requested file could not be read.'
This is the add on that I have been most keen to have but the one that is giving me the most grief!

Not a problem, if it does 50% then that is a lot less paracetamol for me. I have all but given up on this bump a thread thing, it is doing my head in now. I am meant to be launching this forum this weekend and have yet to work out how to transfer my PHPbb forum. To be fair, I can see issues!

Can I suggest something that might make this easier for now?

Currently your URL is this, right: http://www.anglinguk.org/xenforo/xenforo_1.1.3_A1C268F57C_full/upload/index.php

So your XenForo site is in this directory/folder/file, right?:

.../xenforo/xenforo_1.1.3_A1C268F57C_full/upload/

My suggestion is you move everything that is currently in the "upload" folder into the xenforo folder.

This will mean that your URL will change to:

http://www.anglinguk.org/xenforo/index.php

This is a little bit of an OCD thing, but it will make things easier to explain.

After you have moved all of the the files, and the above URL works, I then suggest deleting the xenforo_1.1.3_A1C268F57C_full folder (it should be empty by then).

Great :)

And I'm sure you're much more capable than you give yourself credit for... Ok... now that's done... let me take a look at the add-on you're struggling with and I will give you some detailed instructions.

Following the instructions for the 'Bump-a-thread' it said to install into the xenforo2 upload folder. When I moved the site folder to its parent directory, not installation directory it appeared with an upload folder that has a series of numbers attached to it. Anyway, a bit gung ho but I uploaded the 'bump-a-topic' upload file into there and bob's your uncle so they say!

Top Bottom