Installation: Rebuild Master Caches

James

When I install and it rebuilds caches, I receive this error:

Rebuilding...

An error occurred or the request was stopped.
Rebuild Caches (link)
Upon clicking rebuild caches, I receive a 500 internal server error.

Is it an almost instantaneous error, or does it take some time to happen?

If it's instantaneous, then I suspect it's PHP crashing when it tries to do a specific (very common) thing with MySQL. I don't know how to resolve it - presumably you just upgraded PHP or haven't installed XF on this server before. It is something within PHP/MySQL that we can't touch.

If it takes a while (as in the linked thread), then it's that damn slow I/O sort of thing. I've not really seen it on that particular step though. It may go through after some tries.

If it's instantaneous, then I suspect it's PHP crashing when it tries to do a specific (very common) thing with MySQL. I don't know how to resolve it - presumably you just upgraded PHP or haven't installed XF on this server before. It is something within PHP/MySQL that we can't touch.

If it takes a while (as in the linked thread), then it's that damn slow I/O sort of thing. I've not really seen it on that particular step though. It may go through after some tries.

Mike had to edit mine because of my I/O but when I did a test I got 189.5 MB/s.

It's hard to say because it's both. Sometimes it loads, does 3 steps, goes to step 1b and then crashes with the error above, other times it'll take 30 seconds/1 minute.

I'll try it again right now and give you an outcome.

Still crashing.

Mike can you post the fix or something as I'm trying to now upgrade to 1.0.2 (Installed 1.0.1 thanks to you ) and it is crashing. You said you were going to incorporate it into the next build but... Seeing how many people are having issues? ;)

It's hard to say because it's both. Sometimes it loads, does 3 steps, goes to step 1b and then crashes with the error above, other times it'll take 30 seconds/1 minute.

Still crashing.

James who is your hosting provider? just asking as I'm having the same problem.

I believe this VPS is with joinVPS. The weird thing is that it was working yesterday, but I tried to upgrade phpmyadmin and it buggered up. Just reinstalling PHP & MySQL now.

Mike had to edit mine because of my I/O but when I did a test I got 189.5 MB/s.
Actually, I'm assuming it's fsync related, more than just the raw I/O itself, but to be honest I'm not really sure. This gets into MySQL configuration. I'm assuming that you're just running the default MySQL config (or at least haven't tuned InnoDB's I/O modes). It's quite possible that changing those modes and commit settings may improve it. (Worth noting that our demos are running on a Linode VPS and we've not had any issues with the install there.)

Mike can you post the fix or something as I'm trying to now upgrade to 1.0.2 (Installed 1.0.1 thanks to you ) and it is crashing. You said you were going to incorporate it into the next build but... Seeing how many people are having issues? ;)
This issue isn't happening at the same point as yours, at least not all the time. But I will look at posting it.

Still crashing.
If you're still having the issue, can you submit a ticket with FTP details? Depending how much production stuff is running on the VPS right now, I wouldn't mind getting root access to see if tuning MySQL makes any significant changes (I don't want to take down some production sites with my tuning though :)).

Top Bottom