Insert sticky post at top of existing thread?

creativeforge

Hi, I'm running in a situation where I'd like to insert a short informational post on top of an existing thread. How would I go about it?

I'd hate to ask the OP permission to edit his post to insert this blurb, so there must be a better way. But is there?

Thanks!

Custom thread fields can accomplish what you want.

Admin control panel > Forums > Custom thread fields > Add field > Display location: Thread status block
Hi, thanks!

However I don't see how I can target a specific thread, only the subforum.

4a6417880355ebe65664937a6b44d61c.png

10fe86b27d08b51b8b875d5542a0cce5.png

Beyond this, how do I target a specific thread started by a member?

Many thanks!

Andre

Last edited:
@creativeforge Applicable forums means subforums where custom thread fields are available.

You can also set permissions to limit which groups can make use of custom thread fields.

Custom thread fields are editable during
  1. Thread creation
  2. Thread edit
  3. When editing the first post

@creativeforge Applicable forums means subforums where custom thread fields are available.

You can also set permissions to limit which groups can make use of custom thread fields.

1. Thread creation
  2. Thread edit
OK, still confused... :(

Once I ADD a custom field, do I need to edit a template somewhere? Or will there appear a custom field option on top of every threads in that subforum?

EDIT: I tried it an the answer is no.

I can't find screenshots or tutorials.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Once I ADD a custom field, do I need to edit a template somewhere?

No.

Or will there appear a custom field option on top of every threads in that subforum?

Only in the threads that you have set them to have text.

If so, what will it look like? I can't find screenshots or tutorials right now.

1. Thread creation
  2. Thread edit
For example, try editing a thread you would like to have a custom thread. You must have the permission and subforum appearance enabled though, but it seems you have already set these right.

No.

Only in the threads that you have set them to have text.

1. Thread creation
  2. Thread edit
For example, try editing a thread you would like to have a custom thread. You must have the permission and subforum appearance enabled though, but it seems you have already set these right.
Thanks for trying to help, I really appreciate that. I feel close to solving this, but not close enough yet. :)

When I "Edit thread" from the top of the first post menu, I don't see a custom field option, nor when I use the post's bottom Edit link.

That's why I'm asking what it should look like, or if I need to edit a template. Where do I use that "field ID" I created? Sorry if I'm hard of hearing, but here's the picture so far:

03b1ac2fad2b0657dee54b18c83fbf82.webp

6910e7bd4f26b075c47770ee96e76fd9.webp

The bottom two boxes are empty. No idea what I'm missing...

Thanks again. I wish someone would have created an addon for this at this point!

Cheers,

Andre

1. Thread creation
  2. Thread edit
Have you ever done this on your own forum? If so, could you send me a link so I can look at it?

It works just like @Ksentile said. I just tested it.

Make sure you have set the right forum and permissions.

When you edit the first post you'll see this thread status block:

Screenshot 2022-01-16 at 14.09.15.webp

After filling it out you can see the thread status above the first post:

Screenshot 2022-01-16 at 14.09.47.webp

It works just like @Ksentile said. I just tested it.

Make sure you have set the right forum and permissions.

When you edit the first post you'll see this thread status block:

View attachment 263428

After filling it out you can see the thread status above the first post:

View attachment 263429

I looked at the permissions and there is no Custom Fields permissions to set. So that's also confusing. I posted screenshots of my settings for Adding the custom field. Anything you see that's missing?

I'm trying to insert a sticky before the first post of a thread. This is the first post of that thread, located in the subforum Deals Deals Deals Tier 2.

bb89ae0bbbc572b7afc4717ac71fc2f4.webp

After I click on EDIT TREAD, here is what I see.

6773c47c2eaffa6c529a4ff644edb5c9.webp

Is it an issue of which theme I use?

6910e7bd4f26b075c47770ee96e76fd9.png
In this area try with selecting All user groups.

In this area try with selecting All user groups.

Right, the issue was on my side, I selected the WRONG "Applicable Forum." What a dork. :rolleyes:

But I don't want anyone else by admins and mods to be able to use this.

If I them want to allow them to use this feature all over the forum, then I should enable (highlight) all of the forums.

Let's see how this looks now! :)

Attachments

• 925016eea6fed36aa45c38fe5f2dde42.webp
    925016eea6fed36aa45c38fe5f2dde42.webp
    45.7 KB · Views: 11
You can display a notice in a specific thread.

Thanks Brogan, I also found that earlier but could not figure it out when I did. So does this allow us to insert a notice right before a specific post, no matter if it's the first post or post #40?

Top Bottom