Infinite scrolling

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 7866
  • Start date Start date
D

Deleted member 7866

Forums are all about discussion. Why in "fresh" and "intuitive" forum software like XenForo threads' pagination still exists? It's not 1990. We have possibilities to kill it once for all. Discourse shows how thread view should looke like: there's no neeed for pagination because next posts are loaded without any page refresh; the only thing we need to do is scroll down.

Will XenForo implement feature like this?

Upvote 27
The problem with doing infinite scroll is that it effectively mandates short threads. The folks at TDWTF have had lots of fun trying to break Discourse, and there's a thread of nearly 3000 posts that really demonstrates the flaws of infinite scroll on a longer thread. Keep threads below 50-100 posts and infiniscroll isn't terrible.

i'd like to see this as an option, perhaps 'infinite' up to configurable number of posts before forcing pagination to another page of 'infinite' scrolling. i'd also like it as a usergroup permission, and because of the previously mentioned ad display concerns i'd like a sticky widget framework sidebar that stays in position. i'd also like a pony.

I couldn't find this suggestion to like (I thought I would), and I am not totally sure about all the pros and cons, but I think it'd be great if page navigation is done through ajax, instead of reloading the whole page.

Take a look this hybrid solution (please notice the change in the url address once you pull up or down the page) and the :
https://forum.thirtybees.com/topic/77/warehouse-theme-working

Try to scroll up and down, scrolling fast enough the user arrives at the end of the actual page and then the

Notice the keyboard shortcuts:

For Go to END and Go to HOME that take the user to the first and the last post of the "page".

On macOS
  • Home = CMD+ArrowDown
  • End = CMD+ArrowUp
On Windows
  • Home = CTRL+Home
  • End = CTRL+End

I loathe infinite scroll.

It gets a no thanks from me.
Anecdotal evidence, but I do work for a medium to large site that used to have infinite scroll sprinkled literally everywhere. It made working with the site a complete nightmare, since I couldn't access any footer links, and performance-wise it was also terrible*.

Users also hated it, and I was tasked with replacing automatic infinite scrolling with a button to load the next set of posts. Which to me is no different than clicking a "next page" button :unsure:

* To be fair, a possible reason for why performance was terrible is the fact that it was loading the full HTML for the next page and picking out the relevant DOM, which built-in InfiniteScroll wouldn't have.

Fillip

I've used infinite scroll on a discord forum. It's definitely better than pages.

Is there something between pagination and infinite scroll ? There must be.

infinite scrolling
I guess I'm mostly talking on a smartphone.
swiping up with my thumb to see more content is great.
the content just continues to appear as long as I keep swiping.

Infinite scrolling on the desktop is quite a bit less important.

[Load more] would be fine for the desktop.
better than pages, that is for sure.

Top Bottom