Google retires rel=prev/next, rise of load more and infinite scroll?

dethfire

This tweet is causing a lot of confusion, but it's still an official message from Google web team

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

As we evaluated our indexing signals, we decided to retire rel=prev/next. Studies show that users love single-page content, aim for that when possible, but multi-part is also fine for Google Search. Know and do what's best for your users!

This means XF should implement "infinite scroll option" for forum list and posts. Obviously that is difficult with threads and forums with thousands of posts in a thread. Perhaps a load more button is the best route or give the admin the choice.

It makes sense as more and more people are browsing via mobile devices. They are already swiping up to scroll through content, why would they want to break that motion to tap a button when they can keep doing what they were to load more content?

They retired this years ago without making it public.

And you don't have to change anything.

It makes sense as more and more people are browsing via mobile devices. They are already swiping up to scroll through content, why would they want to break that motion to tap a button when they can keep doing what they were to load more content?

I'd imagine a lot of people also wouldn't want to have to swipe up through potentially hundreds of pages worth of posts to get to a specific point, so there would need to be something to jump further as well

I'd imagine a lot of people also wouldn't want to have to swipe up through potentially hundreds of pages worth of posts to get to a specific point, so there would need to be something to jump further as well
Postid linking should still work. There could be a post count threshold set to switch to load more button. In general I like load more button better. I think there is little harm in SEO too since Google rarely ranks anything other than the first page well, that goes for forums thread list pages too.

God, Infinite Scroll is awful. Load More only slightly less annoying.

I never go back to Infinite Scroll sites. Who wants to scan endless pages choking up memory to read one post ?

Top Bottom