Increase price for account upgrade (subscription)

AndrewSimm

I will probably be increasing the cost of my annual subscriptions in the coming months and haven't found any good threads where ideas are shared on how to manage this. First, I understand that If I increase the cost that the user will continue to pay the recurring costs if they have a recurring subscription.

Here are my thoughts on how to do it.

1) Create a new premium user group to put new subscribers (higher price) in
2) Disable legacy subscriptions
3) Create new subscriptions with the new prices
4) Inform uses of the price increase for all new subscriptions
5) Inform recurring subscribers that after 365 + 1 days that they will start seeing some ads
6) Inform recurring subscribers that after 2 years + 1 day that they will start seeing all ads
7) Create banner to inform legacy premium user group that they will need to cancel their subscription and resubscribe after a year

This is a super messy process and one I wish we didn't have to do. Is there any other thoughts and learnings that anyone can share?

You may want to wait to see if 2.3 has the new API before you sign people up to new subscriptions with the legacy API.
I also use Stripe for payments. XF will need to do more than implement the API. They will also need to implement the functions that allow price changes.

I hope that 2.3 is released tomorrow and brings all of this functionality but I can't wait for hopeful features coming on a hopeful release.

I also use Stripe for payments. XF will need to do more than implement the API. They will also need to implement the functions that allow price changes.

I hope that 2.3 is released tomorrow and brings all of this functionality but I can't wait for hopeful features coming on a hopeful release.
Not likely to come tomorrow, but you never know, could be a surprise drop.

To be honest, we'll probably see a 2.2.14, .15, first.

I strongly recommend against canceling legacy subscriptions.

Instead, 'Grandfather' them and let them run in background until the user self-cancels or CC expires or such. If you force-cancel you will lose revenue as many will not re-subscribe at the new rate. I've made this mistake. It's a trap!

This is basic yield management. Any money is good money and the whole-of-life value of a grandfathered subsciber is surprisingly large (at least it is for me with average subscription life at ~8 years). When you factor cost of conversion and incremental yield in the price increase, you don't need to lose very many regular subs following a forced subscription price increase to make the yield difference a backward step for six months or so.

So, whenever I increase sub fees I just turn-off display of the legacy upgrade (not delete) and create a new one at a new price.

As to your other points, not sure why you would ever run ads against a paying subscriber but I'm sure you have your reasons - either way... I can confirm that solid, succinct, timely communication using the notice system and email is absolutley key to maintaining subscriber health when you make changes to the details of how your subs system works.

(FYI - I've been running a forum subs model for just on ten years)

Last edited:
I strongly recommend against canceling legacy subscriptions.

Instead, 'Grandfather' them and let them run in background until the user self-cancels or CC expires or such. If you force-cancel you will lose revenue as many will not re-subscribe at the new rate. I've made this mistake. It's a trap!

This is basic yield management. Any money is good money and the whole-of-life value of a grandfathered subsciber is surprisingly large (at least it is for me with average subscription life at ~8 years). When you factor cost of conversion and incremental yield in the price increase, you don't need to lose very many regular subs following a forced subscription price increase to make the yield difference a backward step for six months or so.

So, whenever I increase sub fees I just turn-off display of the legacy upgrade (not delete) and create a new one at a new price.

As to your other points, not sure why you would ever run ads against a paying subscriber but I'm sure you have your reasons - either way... I can confirm that solid, succinct, timely communication using the notice system and email is absolutley key to maintaining subscriber health when you make changes to the details of how your subs system works.

(FYI - I've been running a forum subs model for just on ten years)
If the time ever comes for that, that's what I plan to do. I love being able to stay grandfathered into lower prices. Like for Pretzel Rocks (a live stream DMCA-safe music service), but since they have no plans to support a new platform I'm moving too when they release this summer, I had to finally cancel after a few years, to save $60/yr towards something else.

Top Bottom