Not planned Increase character limit for "Update your status"

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Hopefully they're planning Twitter integration later and the option to automatically replicate your status updates to twitter. Another reason to keep it at 140. Perhaps this could be an admin option as well.

I also am very happy with 140 character limit. If this will be increased , status updates will be counter product for threads which is not good.

I also am very happy with 140 character limit. If this will be increased , status updates will be counter product for threads which is not good.

Exactly my thoughts :) But I think it doesn't matter if it is 140 or 240 . for example .

Hopefully they're planning Twitter integration later and the option to automatically replicate your status updates to twitter. Another reason to keep it at 140. Perhaps this could be an admin option as well.

That's what immediately came to mind when I saw the 140 char limit. I think you're on to something...

But, even so, you could also go the Facebook route and only push X amount of chars and provide a link back to view the full update.

140 characters is a bit short for profile posts/status updates. It's ok for Twitter-like messages, but sometimes I want to write a bit more in my profile. I think for a forum, this should be possible.

IMO I think it should be an option on the character limit for status updates, but I agree 140 characters is a bit short. +1 Like

I suppose an admin option for this would be fine. I'm OK with keeping it short though. If you have more to say, start a thread. :)

shortening service like bit.ly available?
bit.ly is for shortening urls not text status updates.

As was widely suspected and now confirmed by Kier, there will be some sort of integration between your XF account and Twitter account so naturally the field length will have to be the same.

We're keeping it at 140 chars so it can be automatically sent to Twitter when we get around to coding that particular implementation.
Would it not be possible to only take the first 140 characters to sent? Or maybe a better solution give the user a message below the field stating:

'Your message is more than 140 characters long, to use the send-to-Twitter option keep characters under 140.'

Just an idea.

bit.ly is for shortening urls not text status updates.
of course i know that.
if we have builtin integration with some shortening api, it would make the xf-twitter integration more useful.

updating status on xf is one thing,but to use xf as a client to update your twitter account, you need to fit links into 140

of course i know that.
if we have builtin integration with some shortening api, it would make the xf-twitter integration more useful.

updating status on xf is one thing,but to use xf as a client to update your twitter account, you need to fit links into 140
So you would want a built in shortening service to pass through normal text unmolested but shorten URLs?

Top Bottom