1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.3 Incorrect password error after moving to new host

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by umar7, Sep 2, 2014.

1. umar7

umar7 Member

I have moved forum to new web host and now passwords are not working. We can log in to forum after resetting password. What can be the reason?

I am not sure about xf version. How to check it?

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Have you downgraded from PHP 5.3+ on the old server to PHP 5.2 on the new server?

3. umar7

umar7 Member

Both use same PHP version: 5.4.29

4. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

5. umar7

umar7 Member

Tested. Requirements Met.

6. Tracy Perry

Forgot to mention.. you can find the version of XenForo by going to the ACP. It's in the upper left hand corner.

7. umar7

umar7 Member

Thanks . XenForo version is 1.3.2

8. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Absolutely positive on the PHP version? You should check it from within XF via admin.php?tools/phpinfo . It's fairly common to have multiple PHP versions on a server and they tend to default to the older version.

9. umar7

umar7 Member

@Mike

Before i quoted php versions from cpanel.

Old server: PHP Version 5.4.29

New server: PHP Version 5.2.17

Is there any solution? How big this issue is? Will i also face other problems?

10. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

You should contact your host and have them tell you how to switch to PHP 5.4 (or newer).

While PHP 5.2 is still supported for XF right now, we don't support downgrading to it. PHP 5.2 is completely unsupported by the PHP developers so I strongly recommend migrating to a newer version. There are likely unfixed security issues in the version you're using.

11. Tracy Perry

Depending on the host (if this is a shared hosting provider) you can frequently add some code to your .htaccess to change the PHP version if they offer multiple ones (HostGator does this). Generally the hosting provider FAQ will have that information in it.

12. umar7

umar7 Member

13. Tracy Perry

Ouch.. 403 HostGator error page from the call to proxy.php? I'd disable the link proxy (I think is what is causing that referral) but it may not be.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  14. umar7

umar7 Member

link issue is solved. proxy.php was hitting a mod_security rule. It is whitelisted now.

15. umar7

umar7 Member

Update: Hostgator support has reconfigured my site to use PHP 5.4 and as a result password issue is also resolved.

16. Alex - A2Hosting

Alex - A2Hosting Active Member

For anyone having this issue in future, it is very common now to have the option of selecting the PHP version directly within the control panel. Here is an article explaining exactly how: http://blog.arvixe.com/php-version-on-linuxcpanel-hosting/

It might differ slightly depending on the provider (Some would be in PHP Configuration icon and not Select PHP Version) but it should be similar.