I would like to propose a functionality that will enable a forum owner to:-
- Improve site usability and readability (especially for niche sites)
- Improve on-site SEO / crosslinking
- Extend the FAQ system with a Glossary of Terms that links site-wide
- Much more.... your imagination is really the limit
What will this do?
Administrator can define a keyword / keyword phrase and specify a URL where more info can be found (for that keyword). Any occurrences of the keyword/phrase in user content is turned into a hyperlink. If the destination link is a thread, it would be nice to have the option to open it (first post) in an overlay to compliment a glossary function.
Global Options Required
- Global on/off switch for the system
- Specify which content types the system will transform, eg... posts/conversations/profile posts/pages/etc/etc
- Specify if only plain text should be transformed or if text within bbcode markup and hyperlinks should be marked up also
- Limit the number of times the same keyword on the same page should be transformed. Occurences over this limit are left as is
- Should function on the fly without altering content in the database
- Ability to add/edit/remove a keyword or phrase
- Ability to link the keyword/phrase to a thread/page/node/FAQ Item or any custom URL
- Ability to make active / inactive each phrase (this is helpful at times)
- Specify if content will load in an overlay (useful for glossary use) if the URL is a page, thread or help (FAQ) item
Define a site-wide glossary:- Useful for tech / niche sites where acronyms or industry terms are common place but may not be understood by average members... linking terms to a definition page could really help usability and help the users to understand posts in the context of how they are written
HTML Word Replacements:- Useful to replace words with images, or to bold certain words / phrases, etc
Other Possible Uses
Monetisation? (use your imagination)
Alternative Way To implement
If the xenForo Censor system allowed HTML word replacements then it would be a start!
I hope Kier/Mike or a mod developer see the power of this modification and can implement it.
I hope you all support this.