Impossible to start reading unread thread from first post

kmike

All links to unread threads in the thread list are leading to the first unread post. Sometimes I want to start reading an unread thread from the first post/page, and it's simply not possible without going to the first unread post and navigating to the first post from there.

It already does this? I'm confused as to what you're talking about here.

If you haven't read a thread, you'll land on page 1 and the first post. If you've read it before, you'll pick up where you last read the thread. What are you saying isn't happening that you'd like to happen?

He wants to re-read the thread. By jumping directly to the first page, first post. And not where he left off.

You can click on the timestamp below the thread title to load it normally.

I think the same thing. Put an link/icon or whatever fits instead of having the thread link lead to first unread post.

the default action is actually to load the page after the last unread post.
its poor usability and i dont like it.

the default action is actually to load the page after the last unread post.
its poor usability and i dont like it.

I see where you're coming from, but in vB, I *always* clicked the little "go to first unread post" image, and never the thread title.

I see where you're coming from, but in vB, I *always* clicked the little "go to first unread post" image, and never the thread title.

Same here, and this was the same for most other users also...

If you have never read the thread before then the first post is going to be the first unread, if you have read it why do you want to keep seeing the first post...

Just because it is not what we are used to does not make it poor usability it is progression in my eyes... I much prefer it this way...

exactly. and people that clicked on the thread title went to the first post. now those actions have effectively been reversed.

exactly. and people that clicked on the thread title went to the first post. now those actions have effectively been reversed.

No, this just makes going to the first unread post easier, and it's actually better from a usability standpoint. :)

No, this just makes going to the first unread post easier, and it's actually better from a usability standpoint. :)

you mean the page after your last read post. it makes it easy to go to the page after your last read page.
this will be the first template edit i will undertake, without a doubt. im not really one to try reteaching basic forum functionality to my users and im not up to the task of telling them how this is a better way of doing what already worked great for over a decade.

the next edit will be to move that infernal upload button. it is always located exactly in the wrong spot.

hmmmmmmmmmm..... I've never read this thread before. I see that it was posted at 2:55 am, but I haven't read it til now.

When I clicked on the thread title, I was transported to the last post in the thread. I'm wondering why.

hmmmmmmmmmm..... I've never read this thread before. I see that it was posted at 2:55 am, but I haven't read it til now.

When I clicked on the thread title, I was transported to the last post in the thread. I'm wondering why.

The thread was unread still when you first came to it?

Maybe this bug actually exists? :oops:

Same here,unless there was a reason to go to the first post in a thread.
IMO there should be more obvious link/button to go the first post in the thread instead of the timestamp, I didn't know the timestamp takes you to the first post in a thread till I started a thread like this one asking about how to go to the first post in a thread not to the first unread post.

Top Bottom