XF 2.1 Importing vBulletin 4 recurring paid subscriptions.

GeekyPhilip

Hi,

I am about to change one of my forums from vBulletin 4.2.5 over to Xenforo 2. My concern is that the paid subscriptions won't transfer correctly and that the recurring subscription won't renew. So my question is:

Does the importer correctly import recurring paid subscriptions from vBulletin 4.2.5 and will those subscriptions continue to work correctly?

Thanks

There is code that attempts to import the paid subscriptions themselves, though this is difficult as how we apply user upgrades is likely to be different.

However, when it comes to the recurring element, that is generally not something that we import. You'd need to manually manage the recurring payments of users (as the payment would still happen, unless cancelled in PayPal). If it's not many users, you can do this to maintain their upgrades.

There is code that attempts to import the paid subscriptions themselves, though this is difficult as how we apply user upgrades is likely to be different.

I have a few sites running XF2 and one running VB4. I have a "multisite paid subscription" and I have written a system that manages subscriptions. It adds subscriptions to sites B and C when someone subscribes on site A and the same is some subscribes on site B OR C. The system also downgrades cancels and removes subscriptions if it becomes inactive on the subscribed site. So I understand the secondary user groups, permission, and upgrade parts of the XF2 and VB4 databases.

However, when it comes to the recurring element, that is generally not something that we import. You'd need to manually manage the recurring payments of users (as the payment would still happen, unless cancelled in PayPal). If it's not many users, you can do this to maintain their upgrades.

I have a lot of upgrades so the manual option is not really an option.

XF2 does handle PayPal recurring subscriptions, so I guess it is just getting the right data imported in the right places in the database (well at least I hope so)

Last edited:
If you're comfortable writing custom code, it is likely something that can be done as a one off. The biggest issues with migrating recurring subscriptions are:

1. PayPal doesn't let you change the IPN URL after the fact (as far as I'm aware). Old subscriptions will still call to the old URL.
  2. Ensuring that you can validate the old payment details and connect them to the proper payment record or user upgrade record. This is quite hard to resolve generically (as would apply for a general importer), but likely something that can be handled with code designed to specifically handle your case/setup.

If you're comfortable writing custom code, it is likely something that can be done as a one off. The biggest issues with migrating recurring subscriptions are:

1. PayPal doesn't let you change the IPN URL after the fact (as far as I'm aware). Old subscriptions will still call to the old URL.
  2. Ensuring that you can validate the old payment details and connect them to the proper payment record or user upgrade record. This is quite hard to resolve generically (as would apply for a general importer), but likely something that can be handled with code designed to specifically handle your case/setup.
Thanks,

I think I have solved this for my case.

1. leave VB4 running (closed and modified) to handle the incoming IPN messages. (just remove members without subscriptions, posts, threads extra)
  2. Modify my MultiSite system so that I have sites A(VB4), A(XF2), B(XF2), C(XF2).
  3. The legacy recurring subscriptions from site A(VB4) will have upgrades on site A(XF2)

Does XF2 set a custom IPN URL in the transactions or does it use the default setting on PayPal?

Is it only SiteA that takes the subscriptions, or could people sign up on site B or site C as well?

This system I have allows members to signup on site A, B or C with either a Single site or MultiSite subscription. It then upgrades them on the other two sites if they have taken out a MultiSite subscription.

The legacy subscriptions will be fine as they will stay with the default URL. The new ones will be sent to the custom listener URL.

I'm hoping to pick your brain before I complete my transition from vB to Xenforo.

Our forum also has a handful of subscription based members.

My question is, if the legacy VB system is completely offline, will PayPal cancel the recurring subscription when it can't connect to the vB PHP validation script?

Or, will this happen:
  • PayPal communication will fail to the old vB connector PHP script (because the vB PHP script won't exist)
  • The PayPal subscriber will get charged another renewal regardless of failed PHP communication
  • The subscribers upgraded membership on the imported Xenforo forum will expire (because no communication about the renewal was made)
  • The customer will wonder "Hey, what's going on, I got charged again but my forum upgrade was removed"
Thank you for your expertise and assistance.

.... My question is, if the legacy VB system is completely offline, will PayPal cancel the recurring subscription when it can't connect to the vB PHP validation script?

Or, will this happen:
  • PayPal communication will fail to the old vB connector PHP script (because the vB PHP script won't exist)
  • The PayPal subscriber will get charged another renewal regardless of failed PHP communication
  • The subscribers upgraded membership on the imported Xenforo forum will expire (because no communication about the renewal was made)
  • The customer will wonder "Hey, what's going on, I got charged again but my forum upgrade was removed"
Thank you for your expertise and assistance.
Wutime, how did this go in the end? What was the outcome?
I have a large vB4 site that I am about to move over to XF, it has many recurring subscriptions that I would prefer to continue recurring.

Top Bottom