1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Importing custom smilies

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Blandt, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Blandt

Blandt Well-Known Member

I just thought about this :

Does the importer handles custom smilies ? from vB
  2. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Not currently. I ran into this with my import. I have lots of smilies. :eek:

Of course you can always manually add your smilie codes and their image files after the import.
  3. Blandt

Blandt Well-Known Member

I do too, I have a bunch of women and they love smilies all 50 of em :confused:
  4. jacko

jacko Active Member

I've got over a hundred. Let's hope Beta 2 will be able to import smilies :)
  5. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

Personally I'd just add them manually rather than wait for an importer that will transfer them over.
    D37 likes this.
  6. jacko

jacko Active Member

I am not too keen on doing that over one hundred times...
    anotheralias likes this.
  7. Blandt

Blandt Well-Known Member

100 ?? manually ... :eek: :confused: I'd rather watch desperate house wives :D :D
    anotheralias likes this.
  8. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

100 is that all? Go and upload them desperate housewives won't give you the love that your members will give you for uploading them. Before you ask, would I upload hundreds, no. I upload thousands and manually set it up in the admincp. :)

Once you set the path just copy and paste it and rename the title and extension (if needed) that'll save you alot of time.
    Blandt likes this.
  9. Blandt

Blandt Well-Known Member

But no thanks :D
    Shelley likes this.
  10. whitetigergrowl

whitetigergrowl Active Member

I agree. An importer is needed. Sooner rather than later hopefully.
  11. anotheralias

anotheralias Well-Known Member

I may not actually have better things to do, but I'm still not adding 100 smilies one by one. We'll go back to the old school smilie system before I do that ----> *evil, lazy laugh*
  12. kkm323

kkm323 Well-Known Member

importing smiles is better for sure
    you can't argue
  13. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

It's quite unlikely that the paths to your smilies would still work (unless you explicitly maintain that directory), so wouldn't you probably have to edit each of the imported smilies, to point to the new URL anyway?
  14. anotheralias

Maybe I'm using the wrong term - I was just talking about being able to list a bunch of them at a time, rather than one at a time. Like, I choose "add 50 smilies" and enter the URL where they're stored (images/smilies/), the images are listed, and then I only have to go through and add the title/code to them.
    kkm323 likes this.
  15. kkm323

kkm323 Well-Known Member

the same way vb does it
  16. anotheralias

I was trying really hard to avoid putting it that way but... yeah, exactly. lol

Or to improve on that - have them coded automatically, so that the file name is the code. Like, "lol,gif" becaomes :lol:

(Actually, maybe vB did that too - I don't remember anymore.)
  17. jacko

jacko Active Member

yes, this is exactly how vB does that
    it would be great to have the same in XenForo
  18. jacko

jacko Active Member

the other solution would be to import them in the same manner as importing attachments - the script should copy files to XenForo smilies location
  19. Luke F

Luke F Well-Known Member

Just threw together a quick script which probably won't cover all scenarios but works for me at least.

Edit: After running it you need to manually add or remove a smiley to rebuild the cache.

Attached Files:

Romchik®, Jake Bunce and Blandt like this.