Importer a bit buggy - what can we do?

steven s

Some people have been able to import there v3 and v4 forums and others have not.
In the have nots (like me) and there really doesn't seem to be a common problem.

What can we do to help to expedite fixes or to isolate the problems?
I accept the fact that this is beta1. I really do.

In the meantime I continue working on my new forum. :)

Without making excuses, I would say that imports are problematic by their very nature. They are never perfect and are subject to the integrity of the source data. With that said, there are bound to be some bugs in the import software at this stage.

What can we do to help to expedite fixes or to isolate the problems?

Obviously you can post your problems on the forum. Sometimes with import problems it is necessary to examine the source data in which case you will need to provide a copy of your database. But I don't know exactly how they want to process the import issues.

The only thing I can suggest is to trim your database.

clean the house : delete dead threads, delete 5 year old inactive members (Oh I do have few of those :D) ..etc ..

optimize your db then try again

The only thing I can suggest is to trim your database.

clean the house : delete dead threads, delete 5 year old inactive members (Oh I do have few of those :D) ..etc ..

optimize your db then try again
I can see optimizing the database, but deleting inactive members? I guess I can for those with zero posts or PMs.
Threads I'd keep.
This all means I need to install another copy of vB3 and keep good notes for if/when I need to do it for real.

I can see optimizing the database, but deleting inactive members? I guess I can for those with zero posts or PMs.
Threads I'd keep.
This all means I need to install another copy of vB3 and keep good notes for if/when I need to do it for real.
Yes ... but inactive members i wouldn't keep. let say they didn't visit for more than a year with zero posts.
do you really think they still have their login info? it'll be easier for them to sign up again.
dead threads are more of a burden, and sometimes they reflect bad on the site. I mean be selective and have your mods look around for the bad threads.
Let us know if it all worked. I haven't touch mine yet, I run vB4

Yes ... but inactive members i wouldn't keep. let say they didn't visit for more than a year with zero posts.
do you really think they still have their login info? it'll be easier for them to sign up again.
dead threads are more of a burden, and sometimes they reflect bad on the site. I mean be selective and have your mods look around for the bad threads.
Let us know if it all worked. I haven't touch mine yet, I run vB4
I know there are members who visit without logging in. There are many lurkers. But I see your point.
But. . . others have been able to import +10,000 members and lots of threads and forums.

Even after the import is successful.

This is my take on it. :D Think of the junk in you garage, closet, pantry ... etc ... you would always hang on to em! Oh ... I might need this one day,... ahhh this, I used this when I was 18 :D .... you are attached to them but they are useless :D
Same for old irrelevant threads, they have no real value for members and they do not impact your SEO.

(PS: I have 2 ex-wives I learned the hard way :D)

Top Bottom