Import XFR to XFMG question

melbo

Just so we don't mess anything up.
XFR is populated with albums, images, etc
XFMG is empty

On fresh import from XFR to XFMG:
  • Should we 'Retain imported content IDs' ?
  • Should we Archive the import log table to the same acrhived_import_log that we've used for imports from vB to XF a couple years ago?
We do not want to clear out any of our vB thread and post redirects.

Last edited:
Should we 'Retain imported content IDs' ?
That's a decision you have to make. There are URL redirects built in and they will work with or without this option checked.

Should we Archive the import log table to the same acrhived_import_log that we've used for imports from vB to XF a couple years ago?
It won't let you do that, you'll have to pick a different name.

If you have an album in XFR User Albums with an album ID of 1, when it is imported to XenForo Media Gallery that album will keep the same ID.

Usually it's more relevant if you need to do any sort of automatic redirection, so it probably isn't relevant for you. Whether you do it or not, there won't be any consequences. Purely personal preference.

@Chris D

I'm upgrading a XF1.4 install with XFR User Albums to a XF2 with XFMG.

The process I'm testing is:

Install XFMG 1.0.2 on XF1.4 ---> Import XFR data into XFMG --> Uninstall XFR --> Upgrade XF1.4 to XF2 --> Upgrade XFMG to a 2.0 XFMG version

Is this the recommended process?

Is retaining the previous links to user albums also possible after the XFR import? (for example, XFR links like /index.php?useralbums/new-album.1/view should automatically go to the new XFMG link). Is this automatically done or do I have to setup manual redirects? In my tests it wasn't done after I imported and uninstalled XFR. The old links said page could not be found. I didn't retain content IDs; should I?

That's the correct process.

Redirects would have to be done manually, though you might want to see if you can do something with Route Filters. This seems to work:

1522235202134.webp

This is an "incoming" conversion (hence why it kind of looks backwards) but essentially this will redirect useralbums/new-album.1/view to media/albums/new-album.1.

You can create multiple route filters so other URLs are caught, though whether it's possible to do them all, I'm not sure. For this to work, you'll definitely need to retain IDs.

Reactions: sgr
Top Bottom