• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Import from vbulletin 4.2.2

Jaxo

Hi everyone, I have just signed up as I am considering moving from Vbulletin 4.2.2 to Xenforo... I have some questions though...

My forum has 15,000 attachments totaling about 50Gb stored in the file system. They are not stored in the default vbulletin attachments folder, but rather one I created myself.

Will Xenforo be able to import these into my new forum ?

Will inline attachments import ?

When Importing does it actually import the attachments into the new xenforo folder leaving 2 sets of attachments on the server, one in the vb folder and one in the Xenforo folder ? or does the database look to the original folder for downloads? The reason I ask is there would not be enough storage space on my server for 2 sets of separate attachments..

Next up, I`m using DragonbyteSEO mod on vbulletin and my urls have been rewritten, Is there a modification or .htaccess script for Xenforo that would redirect google traffic to the new Xenforo url`s ?

I sure I will have a few more questions, but these are my main concerns atm

Thanks

Jack

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Will Xenforo be able to import these into my new forum ?
Yes.

Will inline attachments import ?
Yes.

When Importing does it actually import the attachments into the new xenforo folder leaving 2 sets of attachments on the server, one in the vb folder and one in the Xenforo folder ?
Yes, attachments are created in the relevant XF directory.
Sufficient server space will be required in order to perform the import.

Is there a modification or .htaccess script for Xenforo that would redirect google traffic to the new Xenforo url`s ?
All redirection scripts are here: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/categories/redirection-scripts.2/
There is also a tool for creating VBSEO rewrite rules.

I'm not familiar with DragonbyteSEO URLs so wouldn't be able to comment specifically.

Jaxo

Thanks mate, The only problem seems to be the storage space.. my server has 90Gb storage and the site I want to import takes up about 5oGb of this space, which is mainly attachments... I could have a serious attachment cull as Its long overdue.. or I could Increase my storage space, Just don`t like upgrading my server as Godaddy don`t let you downgrade it again

Jaxo

Can dbtech post thanks / likes be inported ?

Its no biggy, I could live without it,.. more of a bonus if it could ;-)

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
My forum has 15,000 attachments totaling about 50Gb stored in the file system. They are not stored in the default vbulletin attachments folder, but rather one I created myself.
Can I just clarify whether you mean you created a custom system, or is it just using the standard file-based attachments approach of the source forum with your own directory? If it's the latter, they should be picked up; the former you would need to handle with your own code.

Jaxo

Its the standard file based attachments in my own directory, we`ll its the original directory which has been renamed..

inside this directory there is a ton is sub directories (0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, ... inside each of these is another 9 sub directories.. then you get to the attachments) Its a funny setup, it was created by the Vbulletin software though, not by me. I just renamed the original top level attachment folder and updated the setting in the admin panel

Jaxo

All redirection scripts are here: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/categories/redirection-scripts.2/
There is also a tool for creating VBSEO rewrite rules.

I'm not familiar with DragonbyteSEO URLs so wouldn't be able to comment specifically.
This is Dragonbyte SEO http://www.dragonbyte-tech.com/product/303-dragonbyte-seo/

TBH Its a bit of a sticking point, I want to move to xenforo but am worried about loosing my google ranking ... Not that its that brilliant, I just dont want it to get worse