Implement AMP Project framework

thumped

https://www.ampproject.org/

The Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) Project is an initiative to improve the mobile web and enhance the distribution ecosystem. If content is fast, flexible and beautiful, including compelling and effective ads, we can preserve the open web publishing model as well as the revenue streams so important to the sustainability of quality publishing.

AMP HTML is a new way to make web pages that are optimized to load instantly on users’ mobile devices. It is designed to support smart caching, predictable performance, and modern, beautiful mobile content. Since AMP HTML is built on existing web technologies, and not a template based system, publishers continue to host their own content, innovate on their user experiences, and flexibly integrate their advertising and business models -- all within a technical architecture optimized for speed and performance.

Upvote 196
AMP is instant. I've never seen a caching service that fast. I still think that it is impossible to provide content as fast as Google's own caching system. AMP pages are fetched when you actually do the search! It's not provided when you click the link!

I'm not saying AMP isn't the fastest... but you can get them very close, ie. within 50ms - 100ms.

How do you solve the issues mentioned for XF output? With style and add-ons? Like I said, if you only used default, then yes... it would work. But with a system built on styling and additions, AMP doesn't cope well with it.

You have to see AMP pages more like landing pages that load fast for guests. They can click to you main non-amp page if they want to read other threads or join the forum. It is not intended for members to interact with, mostly guests come to these pages from search. So add-ons doesn't matter, only had problems with one till now and would only do this for threads.

Like so:

It is indeed tricky sometimes to prevent errors, but doable. Just keep it simple as a landing/reading page. Images (gif's) and youtube vids work fine, html5 vids also but other embedded media not. It was also a good learning experience for me.

Last edited:
Yes, you can. Regardless how you deliver the content, the content itself must be called from your server, wherever it is in the world. When you correctly cache and offset irrelevant things in the loading process, getting the page to load its content is very close to the same. I have done the AMP thing, and with a forum, like said above... add-ons, styles, etc, they all screw with it.

AMP is only good for very static content OR sites like reddit where there is no real styling or complicated features. Text with indents. That is Reddit. Not difficult to convert into AMP. Not sure why Reddit bothered, to be honest, as there must be such an insignificant difference between their normal page and the AMP variation based on their structure. An average Wordpress post... now that can save considerably.

Forums have complicated feature sets for community interaction = they don't play nicely with AMP from experience.

If Google give AMP special caching for everything but the content, then that is the only improvement. But again... Google has nothing to do with the user loading the content. Their connection quality and speed, their device, etc etc, all influence loading speed. A phone within the past few years with a 4G connection -- the difference is very marginal when a site is correctly setup to begin with. Cloudflare is always the first step, and if any site doesn't use it, then you are doing your users a disservice from the get go. Cloudflare alone can do exactly what Google can for localised loading of static content / caching.

IMHO, if XF tried to do this, they would need to build a near subset setup aside to the forum, a permanent alternative style, just to limit all the user complaints in relation to add-ons and styling breaking the output. A system where add-ons, template changes, etc, have no affect on that style for AMP to use. Experience has dictated nothing but issues from past developers trying this with an add-on.

AMP is just so finicky, the slightest thing breaks it in Google console.
Google rate how your site loads over 3g.

It really isn't hard to strip posts of anything that amp doesn't like. All it needs is the text really.

You have to see AMP pages more like landing pages that load fast for guests. They can click to you main non-amp page if they want to read other threads or join the forum. It is not intended for members to interact with, mostly guests come to these pages from search. So add-ons doesn't matter, only had problems with one till now and would only do this for threads.

Like so:

It is indeed tricky sometimes to prevent errors, but doable. Just keep it simple as a landing/reading page. Images (gif's) and youtube vids work fine, html5 vids also but other embedded media not. It was also a good learning experience for me.
Exactly. We only need an amp version of the thread display page. It shouldn't take more than a few hours to make it if you know how to write xenforo plugins.

Here is real life example of Tapatalk Groups having AMP support:

Regular page:

AMP page:

Heads up! We have a working AMP supporting add-on for XF 2.0 and 2.1!

Kudos to @au lait

Removed AMP pages, got a warning for to small images (avatars) and a 50% drop in indexed amp pages. More trouble then it's worth (nothing, no effect on visits).

Removed AMP pages, got a warning for to small images (avatars) and a 50% drop in indexed amp pages. More trouble then it's worth (nothing, no effect on visits).

And this happened in 24 hours? I had AMP back then with XF1 and it did increase traffic. Takes time for Google to index all the pages.

Sure we get a lot of traffic on our amp pages as well, but I wonder how many of those are actually bonus hits... ie, does amp actually create more traffic or just route existing organic search visits to your amp version... Last I heard Google still wasn't using AMP as a ranking factor (could be wrong), but it does load fast and have that cool icon in search results. And as we get a huge majority of our traffic from google, we will continue to use AMP and do anything else imaginable Google asks us to do, to appease them. 🤗

Top Bottom