• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

XF 1.5 Image Proxy - Image and Link Proxy Secret Key

melbo

We run Image proxy to preserve external images 'Image cache lifetime: 0'
I didn't realize that changing the Secret Key would cause a refresh of the proxy cache. It did and I lost 1000's of images that are no longer available externally. Is there any way of recovering short of restoring from a backup?

melbo

As much as I'd hate to lose a few days of forum activity, the broken images are enough to make me want to retore the db. Question is will that do it?

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
The secret key isn't involved in determining whether a refresh from the source is needed; it's really for situations involving hot linking. It shouldn't affect whether an image is displayed. Do you have an example URL?

melbo

It looks like everything is still in the database and files are present in /internal_data/image_cache/, just needs a rebuild somehow

upload_2016-1-19_18-24-22.png

upload_2016-1-19_18-27-35.png

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
If the files are present, then they should be used. I suspect that the broken images aren't actually present in the file system.

Are you positive these specific images were working before? To confirm, you'd need a database and a file backup to determine the record in xf_image_proxy that applies and whether the file exists for that ID.

melbo

Looking now. It's possible that they weren't and I hadn't visited Page 1 of that thread in many years.
This started from member comments and they might be exaggerated.

So unchecking and then rechecking Proxy Images wouldn't cause a refresh of the cache?

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
Unchecking and rechcecking the option shouldn't change anything. It's basically only used to control whether the proxied links are generated.

melbo

We can probably say this was not an issue and the broken links were broken prior to utilizing the Image Proxy feature. Thank you for the explanation.