Ignore system, some bad news for xenForo.com ;)

Why would you want to allow your members to ignore staff?
because ignore is ignore, and if a member doesnt want to see a particular mods posts they shouldnt have to. i think of my moderators as public servants, not the elite or little gods or the like.

I am sure the ability to ignore nodes/threads will either be an addon or core functionallity at some point.
you highlight the addon-makers dilemma. it might (or might not) become core, nobody knows because mums the word. so why bother spending the time to code an addon that may be made redundant at whatever time?
Removing quotes would require doing a preg_replace, on every post on page load! this would be stupidly resource intensive and a waste of power!
where there is a will there is way.
super bummed out about this minimalist unusable ignore feature.

because ignore is ignore, and if a member doesnt want to see a particular mods posts they shouldnt have to. i think of my moderators as public servants, not the elite or little gods or the like.

you highlight the addon-makers dilemma. it might (or might not) become core, nobody knows because mums the word. so why bother spending the time to code an addon that may be made redundant at whatever time?
Luckily you're the minority...

Oh... Thanks for reminding me I missed someone :sneaky:.

I don't think my mods are gods, but I do think that if someone is using my site then the staff should be respected this is simple sorry you don't like this and I am sure a small code edit would fix this for you (maybe kier will even give you an option, though I think your a minority TBH)

Doesn't bother me when I make mods, I make them to fill current holes, if a feature is then released that is core absolutely awesome, there will always be another hole to fill!

Sure, and I am pretty sure it wouldn't take much to implement a preg_replace on all post but I better faith in kier and mike for them to ever do something that stupid!

this very basic and barely functioning ignore function is hardly 'the world'.

It is AN ignore feature, which xenforo didn't have before... can't you be happy with that and IF/When more feature get added to it then be happy of those?

It is AN ignore feature, which xenforo didn't have before... can't you be happy with that and IF/When more feature get added to it then be happy of those?
face the reality that i am completely unimpressed with what a year of waiting has brought for an ignore feature.
im not so sure sitting on my thumb another year or more for 'maybe' something more is an exciting option. i am highly disappointed with the 1.1 ignore and have zero faith it is going to be any better in the years to come.

face the reality that i am completely unimpressed with what a year of waiting has brought for an ignore feature.
im not so sure sitting on my thumb another year or more for 'maybe' something more is an exciting option. i am highly disappointed with the 1.1 ignore and have zero faith it is going to be any better in the years to come.
Can you summarize what you think would be the ideal way to ignore users? (Threads/nodes are totally independent really and require totally separate approaches.)

While I appreciate the work that the team has put into 1.1, I also am a little unimpressed with the ignore feature. When I look at "What's New", I see posts show up from people I have in ignore. When I see the forum home, I see last posts from users in ignore. When someone quotes them, I see what they posted. I'm no php expert, and even in my world of .NET, regex's are expensive, how is it any different than parsing all the bloody BBCode on the page in every post on every page? Surely it won't be THAT expensive? As for staff being ignored, I'm not too sure about that. I would say that posts and PC's could be ignored (after all, posting in the thread that you're misbehaving isn't really appropriate in the first place as it further takes a thread off topic). If someone is being a *******, then another member not on the block list could just report the post, in which the particular staff member could view it, and then they would be able to using some type of warning/infraction/punishment system to take care of the problem.

The bottom line for me is that I can't really ignore what keeps popping up everywhere I look and that pretty much makes the feature not so useful to me.

The problem is to do a comphrensive ignore function that takes into account last postings, quotes etc.. requires a fair bit of processing for quotes - i.e whenever a thread is shown the script would have to do a preg_replace for any quotes from the ignored userlist for the current user.

hmm, actually, I just thought of a way that it could be done, via CSS or at the very least, javascript. You'd need a way to identify the author of the quoted post (probably not hard with HTML5 microdata) and then hide the quotes either in JS or via CSS rules. That way the processing is done in the browser, not the server. It would mean having to transmit the list of ignored user ids to the browser, but again, HTML5 local storage could help there.

That could work.

Last post times are more difficult as that comes from the DB and would require most probably a join to a table of userIDs to ignore. That said, a join may not be that expensive, time wise.

But hiding quotes via the method above should work tbh...

Can you summarize what you think would be the ideal way to ignore users? (Threads/nodes are totally independent really and require totally separate approaches.)
Exactly. We ask for an ignore feature and we got it.
Good job, thanks xf dudes.

This is beautiful. I can finally ignore a person I wanted to here in XenForo, now I don't ever have to see his threads/posts again! :)

A more comprehensive/complete ignore system (more options to ignore members everywhere so that it seems that they do not exist) would be nice, but of course there are other things to be done and we can't expect every feature and option we personally like to be developed. I'm happy the basis for more is at least here. :)

I love watching people moan!

Heres some thinking right out of the box....... Why dont you just browse right past that post you dont want to see, or failing that, read it and carry on!

Are you really that weak willed that as soon as you see a new thread thats been created by someone on your ignore list your going to jump straight in and act the idiot?

Theres plenty of idiots on here but theres just not enough time in the day for me to start messing around with /ignore so I just scroll past their posts.

I love watching people moan!

Heres some thinking right out of the box....... Why dont you just browse right past that post you dont want to see, or failing that, read it and carry on!

Are you really that weak willed that as soon as you see a new thread thats been created by someone on your ignore list your going to jump straight in and act the idiot?

Theres plenty of idiots on here but theres just not enough time in the day for me to start messing around with /ignore so I just scroll past their posts.

That is for each person to decide for themselves, if you're going to scroll past their posts, why can't you simply just not see his post?

I love the interwebs!

But seriously. Going from no ignore feature to an ignore feature being implemented is ALWAYS a good thing. Trying to plan for the 1 off cases that do not make sense for a majority of the forums is ridiculous.

If your mods need to be ignored, maybe you need re-evaluate who you are having moderate your forum.

And the Whats New Tab/Recent Threads will show OP who are on your ignore list but if you CLICK the thread you will not see their posts. I am sure with more time will bring additional more complex functionality to this small/tiny feature.

For me, I am going to enjoy it in its simplest form, not reading crap from users who spew non-sense.

I'm out...

Top Bottom