Ignore system, some bad news for xenForo.com ;)

hmmm, I hope it gets added to member card and somewhere in the postbit too. Tucked away as a link, many won't ever find it nor use it due to the extra steps involved.

I disagree, I think as forums are designed to be a social tool, having an "ignore user" button easily palced detracts from the point of those forums in the start. If you realy want to ignore someone, you can go find it, but it shouldn't be "encouraged".

As they say, out of sight, out of mind.

Coming from the same person who calls to action that the person is ignored in your eyes...

He can't see your post, remember? :)

I also thought at first of having an Ignore on the profile card but then realized it really shouldn't be that convenient to do. That if someone really bugs you that much you should take the time to go and type their name in on the ignore page.

Why would anyone in their right mind allow their forum users to ignore staff members? Seriously, someone could just ignore staff members bypassing warnings posted or tries of contact and just make it harder.

The current workings of the ignore system as it is are awesome imho.

For me ignore means: I want to completely make this user disappear from the site. I don't care about this person. I don't want to see like from them, get messages, profile message, public message, private messages, or other notifications. I don't care they're the last person to post, or the first. Or have a post somewhere in the middle. As far as I am concerned once on the ignore list they are not a member on the site.

This ignore feature, is a good step in that direction and it's better than in the 1.0 version. So thumbs up.

I disagree, I think as forums are designed to be a social tool, having an "ignore user" button easily palced detracts from the point of those forums in the start. If you realy want to ignore someone, you can go find it, but it shouldn't be "encouraged".

As they say, out of sight, out of mind.
Slavik, with respect, I disagree with your view completely.

Maybe at some point the feature will be modified so that you can hide the feature if you want, and I will still retain the option to make it readily available to my users. I think it would be a very interesting experiment to see how this might work when adults (in particular) are given fully informed and accesible freedom to choose to ignore or not.

If members could ignore staff members (atleast on forums I'm on) it would create a lot more problems. Often as an admin/moderator I will make a post asking people to tone down their language on a thread if there's a large number of people misbehaving instead of banning or warning a member privately but then warn everyone that if they carry on then since they've had this warning that anything further will receive an extra long ban than what would normally be given. If they can't read my post because they've ignored me then they're going to be the ones who suffer from that and I wouldn't take into account the fact they couldn't read my posts.

Anyway, all that just to say it sounds like a niche option to allow the ignoring of staff members so I reckon it should be an addon if you want it.

The only thing I don't like about the ignore user is when you click in the lastest post area on index and the poster you choose to ignore happens to post (being the latest poster) their post becomes viewable so you have to click on the forum link (nodeTitle) and navigate via the threadlistings which takes an extra click which becomes tedious. I think it would be better if you can still click the latest poster (if it happens you ignore them) and still the post is hidden. Eitherway it's a welcomed feature. ;)

Is there a way to override this and allow staff members to ignore each other?
XenForo_Model_UserIgnore:
Code:
public function canIgnoreUser($userId, array $user, &$error = '')
{
$setError = (func_num_args() >= 3);

if ($user['is_moderator'] || $user['is_admin'])
{
if ($setError)
{
$error = new XenForo_Phrase('staff_members_may_not_be_ignored');
}
return false;
}
My guess is that if you remove the if ($user['is_moderator'] || $user['is_admin']) condition, it should allow staff to be ignored.

XenForo_Model_UserIgnore:
Code:
public function canIgnoreUser($userId, array $user, &$error = '')
{
$setError = (func_num_args() >= 3);

if ($user['is_moderator'] || $user['is_admin'])
{
if ($setError)
{
}
return false;
}
My guess is that if you remove the if ($user['is_moderator'] || $user['is_admin']) condition, it should allow staff to be ignored.

And allow others members to ignore staff to! :(

I have tried that!

And allow others members to ignore staff to! :(

I have tried that!
Change it then.
PHP:
// if visitor isn't member of usergroup 3 or 4 (mod or admin)
if(!XenForo_Visitor::getInstance()->isMemberOf(array('3','4'), true))){

// can't ignore staff.
}

Change it then.
PHP:
// if visitor isn't member of usergroup 3 or 4 (mod or admin)
if(!XenForo_Visitor::getInstance()->isMemberOf(array('3','4'), true))){

// can't ignore staff.
}

Yep! Good one.

Top Bottom