Ignore / Filter System

Forsaken

This is from one of my older posts, but it was several different ideas, and I rather this one be added rather then any of the others.

Ignore/Filter System
One thing I've noticed that is currently lacking (In the form of user ignore) currently, and that most forums do not extend more then the basic concept, is the ignore function.

• Users: Rather then just ignore their posts, PM's and such, I'd like to see them completely ignored. More then once, I've been on a forum where there was a person that I could barely stand would aggravate me.
  • Forums/Categories: The ability to completely hide forums or categories, and filter out any threads or posts in them. I often don't read introduction forums, or site showcases, and I rather not have to sift through them when I use the "What's New?" link.
  • Threads/Posts: Ability to ignore certain threads and posts. This is more because I rarely participate in forum games where yous say something about the previous poster.

Upvote 237
Bummer - doesn't look like we're getting this functionality for v2.1 (not that I'm unhappy with what we are getting in 2.1 !! :D )

Hopefully this remains top of the radar for v2.2 - because I have already promised my members exactly this functionality and if we don't get it in the core, I'm going to have to build it myself 😳
With over 130 likes, I hope this is something that is considered soon-ish.

Ignoring a forum is a great idea, it saves on creating private forums for things like politics, where, you can simply make it public and let the user ignore what they don't want to see. NodeBB implements this well.

Ignoring threads is another good idea but I would rank it slightly lower.

Now that XF2.1 has added new ways to identify content that members like with reactions and bookmarks, I'm hoping that we will also get ways to identify content that members dislike. The ignore feature would be very useful to have.

Ignoring a forum is a great idea, it saves on creating private forums for things like politics, where, you can simply make it public and let the user ignore what they don't want to see. NodeBB implements this well.

Ignoring threads is another good idea but I would rank it slightly lower.

While this would be a great feature to have, it could still be a long way off. What I've done in the meantime is use @Xon 's Multi-Prefix addon to apply at least one default prefix to all my threads (matched to the node name) and his addon then allows users to ignore content based on prefix. Better than nothing!

While this would be a great feature to have, it could still be a long way off. What I've done in the meantime is use @Xon 's Multi-Prefix addon to apply at least one default prefix to all my threads (matched to the node name) and his addon then allows users to ignore content based on prefix. Better than nothing!
Actually, correction: that's a feature of the Prefix Essentials addon (also by Xon, but under the Stuart Wright/M2M name). I get them confused. Anyway, they work best in conjunction with each other....

I reckon the ignore function needs to be extended so that once you have blocked somebody they can no longer search for you on the forum and follow you around.

Tacking in my support as an official feature (or addon) at some point in the future of XenForo's life cycle.

Our forum members utilize(d) the vBulletin addon "Thread and Forum Ignore System" extensively. Having the ability to ignore a category/node is something i have seen used more than the ignore thread feature of the addon.

We have a lot of requests for a forum ignore feature. My site offers a diverse array of forums. Members are often only interested in specific forums and content from other forums puts them off.

XenForo has a 'Watch Forum' function. It would be logical to add a 'Ignore Forum' function next to it.
Same for threads.

This function would even be handy on xenforo.com
Not everyone is interested in addons, development, suggestions.

Last edited:
With the Covid-19 pandemic we have members who want to discuss the pandemic, while others come to the forum as their safe haven away from the pandemic stress. The latter members turn away from the site, because they need their place away from the stress. It would be very valuable to be able to put threads about the pandemic on ignore, so they can keep using the site.

Top Bottom