If you thought GDPR is a joke, joke's on you

I don't know what 'article 13,3,11' even is. I don't really pay attention to that kind of thing since there is barely any activity on the site except for viewing the custom pages I have.

The way these new copyright laws are written, it sure sounds like referencing or linking to just about anything without permission could get you in trouble. It sounds like much the same kind of thing that caused Google to shut down their news service in Spain a few years back, after Spain's government decided to tax all news links. Spain wanted Google to pay up, even though Google News had no paid advertising and Google wasn't making any money off it. Instead of helping news outlets in Spain, Google News shutting down there actually hurt them. (And yes, before anyone points it out, I know there's no mention in these new laws of directly taxing links, etc., but that could very well be what the ends results amounts to.)

Although it's not likely to happen, I think Google just shuttering completely in the EU would be one sure-fire way of getting them to reverse and amend some of these laws. I wish Google would have the balls.

Last edited:
Although it's not likely to happen, I think Google just shuttering completely in the EU would be one sure-fire way of getting them to reverse and amend some of these laws. I wish Google would have the balls.
It would be more likely a sign to create an EU service to replace that "evil" US brother. Not like it would work, but hey

Nonsense. It is not for myself it would be a blessing, but for the world. All the Tech Giants, Microsoft, Apple, Google, Oracle etc., have become dangers far beyond any bad intent on their part, simply through their concentration of power and resources.

And many smaller rivals have been destroyed to make their power, leading to far less variety and competition.

Nonsense. It is not for myself it would be a blessing, but for the world. All the Tech Giants, Microsoft, Apple, Google, Oracle etc., have become dangers far beyond any bad intent on their part, simply through their concentration of power and resources.

And many smaller rivals have been destroyed to make their power, leading to far less variety and competition.

How is it nonsense? You can use Linux instead of Mac, iOS or Windows. You can use OpenOffice instead of Office. You can use DuckDuckGo instead of Bing, Yahoo or Google. Nothing forces you to use Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. You can use Firefox, or any number of privacy browsers instead of Edge or Chrome. And so on.

Again, nothing is stopping you from using alternatives not made by those companies, it's your choice.

Um, Actually, Linux is quite user-unfriendly (not everyone has a PhD in computer science), OpenOffice compatibility with MS Office is poor - which is mandatory for quite a large amount of people - and Android without Google is the same as brushing your teeth with bleach (unless, again, you have a PhD in computer science). Plus, contentwise, there's no alternative to YT / Twitch. Same goes for FB / WA. Not to mention PP.
Yea, search engines can be swapped out I guess, but other than that nope. Right now, there's no real choice unless you want to live with major disabilities just because there's a "made by US company" stamp on top of everything.

It is nonsense because these giant techs are not a danger to me --- and my not using them would have no effect whatsoever --- but because they are too powerful for the world's good, due to concentration. Having just a few companies running everything that matters is basically communism.

And incidently I have used Linux for 15 years, Occasionally a Berkeley OS or QUBES etc.. Firefox since it was version 2, sometimes Waterfox, Slimjet, Pale Moon, etc. etc. Signal, despite doubts, Discord, uGet et al; and I utterly eschew Facebook and Instagram. Twitter worries me not: it is harmlessly used to choose presidents.

This has all made the tech giants shake in their boots.

Yep, just recently. Wanted to install a 3rd party program which was not available in the Ubuntu Store (whatever that is called), guess what I had to do. And well, that thing is out for over 7 years and cross-platform since ever. Simple to install on Windows. Not to mention that Chrome did not start because I was logged in as root and Chrome refuses that for security reasons, which is good, but then again you can imagine what that means.
Linux is good for embedded and server-side usage. Everything where you don't need a GUI. Linux via VNC? Have fun. Was a nice experience.
The exception to this is probably Android, but yea, as I said earlier, Android without Google, ain't fun at all.

About that, the upload filter...how the hell should that work? How are you going to check if an image is copyright protected?

I really hope this law never gets passed because such a filter would never (really) work imo.

As mentioned before, something like YT's Content ID is the first step. Besides that, if you're lucky, Google's Image Search can track an image down to its source already. So it is possible, although not perfect obviously.

About that, the upload filter...how the hell should that work? How are you going to check if an image is copyright protected?

A copyright symbol or watermark is a clue. It’s easy enough to remove images that your users obviously don’t have the rights to.

Last edited:
That's true. Problem is that a lot of copyrighted images don't have a watermark of some sort. It's not enough, that's for sure.

That's true. Problem is that a lot of copyrighted images don't have a watermark of some sort. It's not enough, that's for sure.
I would have thought that with images, this law has changed nothing. It is already an infringement to upload and/or host copyright images (or text, audio, video etc) without permission.

Top Bottom