If you thought GDPR is a joke, joke's on you

I thought the GDPR was terrible in the first place. It takes ownership of the data, away from the website owner, while simultaneously putting legal responsibility on the website owner. It flies in the face of safe harbor.

Well, I actually should have wrote some text. The EU is coming up with something even more retarded than the GDPR, it's not even related to GDPR. This will heavily influence the internet. Here's a good summary of the upcoming changes: https://juliareda.eu/eu-copyright-reform/
And the link under the video above is probably the best place to go right now.

Here's a good summary of the upcoming changes: https://juliareda.eu/eu-copyright-reform/

I'm struggling with the grammatical structure of the sentence:

"The proposals seek to limit our ability to actively participate online to benefit the business models of media conglomerates:"

Even then, do the proposals seek to limit.... or is that just the writer's agenda?

We often get a huge outcry whenever there is anything to do with copyright, I'll try to find something less biased before commenting further.

Last edited:
I might be going overboard but... The entire thing seems like it would hugely benefit the big social media companies with deep pockets and kill the self hosted nonprofit communities! I’m saying just wait till you see someone hosting a nonprofit board get sued by the EU and over time you’ll see less people willing to host a community! Mainly people like me who do it just for fun I’d just stop messing with this stuff if I see a few communities get whacked!

I thought the GDPR was terrible in the first place. It takes ownership of the data, away from the website owner, while simultaneously putting legal responsibility on the website owner. It flies in the face of safe harbor.
You should read up on FOSTA-SESTA. https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/4/13/17172762/fosta-sesta-backpage-230-internet-freedom

It's actually surprising this hasn't gotten more attention than it has.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/27/...ses-congress-cda-230-house-of-representatives

Even then, do the proposals seek to limit.... or is that just the writer's aganda?
We often get a huge outcry whenever there is anything to do with copyright, I'll try to find something less biased before commenting further.
The "writer" is a member of the EU parliament itself and a German politician. If you scroll down to What’s being debated all proposed changes are linked in the first line of those pages.
So to sum it up, the EU is planning
  • a link tax. You will have to pay to link to some other content. No joke. Independent and small companies can't afford to buy that. This kills social media in the first stance.
  • to make content filters mandatory for every kind of user-generated content. This is effictively censorship because only the big companies can afford to buy licenses.
  • to restrict data mining to research facilities etc. This means no more Panama Papers, no more (personalized) AdSense etc.
In the end, not even big companies will be able to buy all licenses to every single content available out there. Thus, this is pretty much killing the internet because "fair use" won't exist any more.

Getting out my crystal ball... I foresee an uptick of sites going private and invite only. Somebody get to work on those invitation addon's for XF2. :)

I really don't agree. The legal responsibility is to simply not lose or abuse the data, lol.

All you need to do to be GDPR compliant is essentially be a good person, update your privacy policy, and comply with deletion requests; it's not really all that hard. Safe harbor laws have nothing to do with harvesting unnecessary data and mistreating it.

We've had fairly stringent data protection laws in Russia for more than a decade and it hasn't been an issue for us. The whole GDPR thing is blown way out of proportion.

All you need to do to be GDPR compliant is essentially be a good person, update your privacy policy, and comply with deletion requests; it's not really all that hard. Safe harbor laws have nothing to do with harvesting unnecessary data and mistreating it.
Well, I'd argue that how "hard" it will be will depend partly on how large and popular your site is. Some sites might get dozens or even hundreds of these requests every month. Very large corporate ones will likely have to hire additional people just to deal with these requests. And as we've already seen, and as polls also show, many people will use it as a means of exacting their petty revenge. But this new copyright stuff is definitely even more worrying since, as I understand it, it will require filtering and monitoring of user activity just about everywhere - so much for the EU wanting to safeguard your privacy.

Well, I'd argue that how "hard" it will be will depend partly on how large and popular your site is. Some sites might get dozens or even hundreds of these requests every month. Very large corporate ones will likely have to hire additional people just to deal with these requests. And as we've already seen, and as polls also show, many people will use it as a means of exacting their petty revenge. But this new copyright stuff is definitely even more worrying since, as I understand it, it will require filtering and monitoring of user activity just about everywhere - so much for the EU wanting to safeguard your privacy.

Honestly, if you're getting loads of deletion requests, you're doing something wrong. People only ask to be deleted, usually, when they are unhappy with your service.

I helped run a fairly decently sized board at about 4 million posts and about ~100k users but the amount of personal deletion requests was probably only about 30-35 max over the entire 10 year history. If you run a good service, only the most paranoid will ever come to you.

And, even then, with more automated tools like what has recently rolled out with the latest XenForo updates, it's really not a big deal to comply.

We've already seen more than one example on just this site of people making data requests because they were banned. We'll just have to agree to disagree. Sorry, but it's my firm belief, based on experience, that a lot of people will do ****ty things just because they're ****ty people. You don't always have to do something wrong or mistreat them for them to behave like children having a temper tantrum.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • a link tax. You will have to pay to link to some other content. No joke. Independent and small companies can't afford to buy that. This kills social media in the first stance.
  • to make content filters mandatory for every kind of user-generated content. This is effictively censorship because only the big companies can afford to buy licenses.

I am somewhat inclined to say that this is pure FUD.
There is nothing in the proposal that suggest a tax on links, but a fee for displaying snippets.

I also can't find anything that says content filters would be mandatory.

For those who prefer 1st party sources:
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:52016PC0593&from=EN

Last edited:
It's about midnight here. So, I'm off. But, after reading a bit of the proposal and checking out this guy's other videos as well, it looks like he has a bit of a history with bending the truth in order to rile up his viewers and fearmonger.

If anyone who has actually read it feels like playing devil's advocate for the EU, it'd be appreciated. On the surface, this proposal doesn't seem super totally 10/10 great. But, maybe someone has some more insight from the other side.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...ill-be-complete-utter-disaster-internet.shtml

(Member of the European Parliament from Germany)
https://juliareda.eu/2018/05/censorship-machines-link-tax-finish-line/

The German government is standing in the way of an agreement over which kinds of snippets of news content should fall under the “link tax” and thus become subject to a fee when shared: They insist that whether a snippet constitutes an original intellectual creation by its author or not should not be a criteria.

It's about midnight here. So, I'm off. But, after reading a bit of the proposal and checking out this guy's other videos as well, it looks like he has a bit of a history with bending the truth in order to rile up his viewers and fearmonger

Yes, I'd also like more information that is written without any personal spin put onto it.

If anyone who has actually read it feels like playing devil's advocate for the EU

Not sure about that, but I am in favour of the internet cracking down on copyright theft, mainly because I make my living from Intellectual Property so I would think that.

I also can't find anything that says content filters would be mandatory.
Technically true, but in effect it would require such filtering because it makes platforms directly liable for all copyright infringements. Gotta read between the lines there, I'm afraid.

Just to give you guys some idea about GDPR not being a joke:

At least in Germany the topic has evolved exactly as predicted. The first warning letters are being sent out by lawyers, with quite hefty fines in some areas.

Currently the top one I have read of (where I could find details) was requiring the website owner (a small business so no legal limits to warning fees) to pay around 700€ and sign away their soul.
Some lawyers obviously have been sitting there like hunters waiting for their prey and had long scouted their potential targets, with the first warning letters being delivered straight on the first day.

I took the time to search the online press today and read up on this and I must say that this is not quite as bad as expected yet, but they issues keep growing daily.

Top Bottom