1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I may be in the minority here--Podcast enclosure?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by glorify, Aug 18, 2010.

1. glorify

glorify Well-Known Member

Just wondering if the attachment system will have the ability to include a podcast and feed to itunes like vb's did. I actually used this feature lol.

2. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

I didn't know it had one, but I think you should suggest it :)

glorify likes this.
  3. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

I -might- find podcasting useful eventually, but there isn't much use for it as a major feature I wouldn't think.

4. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

I doubt this will be an option here.

5. glorify

I pretty much figure this would be the case as there really isn't the demand out there. When I searched for the word 'podcast' here, I only found 1 instance lol.

6. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

I've never really come across it being used. Although, someone out there might make a plugin for you.

7. Forsaken

If I do take up podcasting on my site, I'll most likely use an external service, just because I feel with this my needs are more likely to be met.

vBulletins podcasting wasn't very impressive to me, and most other systems that include it as a feature do it poorly.

8. Reeve of Shinra

Reeve of Shinra Well-Known Member

I never saw a site using it. I could see a few uses for it but I think it might be easier if I used a third party service.

9. Forsaken

Sitepoint uses it, though I'm not sure if its vBulletins or not.

10. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Really wouldn't expect to see this feature, unless there was suddenly a lot of demand for it. :)

11. RobS

RobS Member

I think this is the only feature in vBulletin that I never understood what it did and could never be bothered to find out. :D

captainslater likes this.
  12. glorify

Yeah--mine was. Worked well for sending my cast to iTunes. No worries. I figured it would be pretty much an obsolete feature.

Thanks for the response Mike.

13. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Its not obsolete, its just something I don't (and I'm sure many would) should be a default feature. If implemented, it should be as an add-on by the community.

14. Forsaken

I was using an external podcast service at one point, and it allowed me to distribute my podcast to multiple places (Including iTunes) as well as a playlist service. I'll try to find what it was, and I'll get you the information.

It worked much better then the vBulletin  which we only tried for a month before deciding we needed a new option.

15. glorify

16. Forsaken

http://libsyn.com - is a paid service, but they offer everything you'd probably need.

I can't remember the free service I used; I think they've died out actually, but there are a few good services like LibSyn that provide much better options then vBulletin did. 

17. Fufu

Fufu Well-Known Member

I use PodCast... soon... :D

18. glorify

19. Phases

Phases Active Member

I would very much like this feature, and for me personally would result in an instant buy on release.

20. Crazyfruitbat

Crazyfruitbat Well-Known Member

for my podcast I just got some cheap web hosting and got itunes to link the podcast RSS up to that server. It's a lot cheaper than libsyn and I can track the downloads with podtrac.com - which is free.