How to upload to server

Trombones13

I'm sorry for how ignorant this post will be, haha.

I recently downloaded the free version of the Zend server to use for my XenForo copy. I'd like to use it to test stuff (though I don't know if it matters whether or not it's local...does it?), and I downloaded and extracted the XenForo folder. ...Now I'm stuck. :( Where do I go from here to install my forum?

Thanks so much in advance for any help you can offer...I just don't know what I'm doing with this part! :(

I'd like to use it to test stuff (though I don't know if it matters whether or not it's local...does it?)

Doesn't matter. Though if you are doing it locally then you need to know how to manage a web server. Otherwise it is best to rent a server from one of the many hosting companies out there.

and I downloaded and extracted the XenForo folder. ...Now I'm stuck. :( Where do I go from here to install my forum?

Upload the contents of the upload folder from the xenforo zip file to your server. Then visit the URL of your site and it should automatically start the install.

Doesn't matter. Though if you are doing it locally then you need to know how to manage a web server. Otherwise it is best to rent a server from one of the many hosting companies out there.

Upload the contents of the upload folder from the xenforo zip file to your server. Then visit the URL of your site and it should automatically start the install.
I have some knowledge using the web server for vB, but it was through a different FTP client, not Zend, which is confusing me. :/

Does it matter where I put the files (under Zend, ZendServer, etc.)? And if I have it locally installed, is the URL based on my IP address, localhost, etc (and is this what I put under "Your Licenses")? Also, do I need to edit the php.ini file, as I read elsewhere on the forum?

Sorry I'm not so educated on this...haha ^_^;

EDIT: @Nizar Meddeb: No? Not sure what that means. :/

During Zend server installation it should prompt you and ask if you want to use IIS or install apache. Which one did you choose?

If you configured zend server during install to work with IIS then your public folder is inetpub
if you used apache then hotdocs is your public folder.

and you can set your hosts file with any domain you might choose so you don't have to go localhost (will get to that later) for now we need to know your public folder

During Zend server installation it should prompt you and ask if you want to use IIS or install apache. Which one did you choose?

If you configured zend server during install to work with IIS then your public folder is inetpub
if you used apache then hotdocs is your public folder.

and you can set your hosts file with any domain you might choose so you don't have to go localhost (will get to that later) for now we need to know your public folder
Ah; then I'm pretty sure it's Apache (I don't remember choosing, but I have an Apache2 folder with an htdocs folder inside). I take it that's where I put the files, then?

Thanks for the help so far, by the way--really appreciate it!

Alright .. then do this right click notepad and "run as administrator"
open the hosts file located here
c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

and ad this line at the end
127.0.0.1 mydomain.com

Save and exit

then just point your browser to mydomain.com and follow xenforo instructions for install

Let me know

It's actually better to point localhost to 127.0.0.1, so you're not redirecting a real domain name. If you accidentally forget about this rule, you could spend a lot of time pulling your hair out trying to figure out why you can't access your own site when you've created the problem yourself. :)

Some scripts that use redirects won't work with localhost.
But YES you are right

@trombones when you are done playing with this delete that line you added to your hosts file :D

and ad this line at the end
127.0.0.1 mydomain.com

It's actually better to point localhost to 127.0.0.1, so you're not redirecting a real domain name. If you accidentally forget about this rule, you could spend a lot of time pulling your hair out trying to figure out why you can't access your own site when you've created the problem yourself. :)

What should I put instead of 127.0.0.1 mydomain.com, then?
(Also, am I going to need to use the one domain I have [used it a while ago for something; don't now], or can I go without one [and if I do, will it be able to be non-local? That's not a big deal at all, but if the option's available to make it public, I don't see why not :)]?)

(Also, am I going to need to use the one domain I have [used it a while ago for something; don't now], or can I go without one [and if I do, will it be able to be non-local? That's not a big deal at all, but if the option's available to make it public, I don't see why not :)]?)
Use whatever you feel like. Personally I would use localhost for clarity, but it's up to you. Just be aware that you'll essentially be locally 'hijacking' whatever domain you pick, so you won't be able to access the "real" version of that site. (For example, if you choose www.google.com, then anytime you try to visit www.google.com in your browser you'll get your local site, not the real www.google.com). And no, this won't make your installation non-local. If you want your installation "on the web", you'll have to sign up with a web host. :)

Basically you are telling your win7 that mydomain.com is located at your localhost (127.0.0.1) and it will not go look for it at the DNS.
So you can use your domain you own right now. do your thing, customize ..etc.. and when you are ready to deploy, backup your files and database, deploy to your server and delete that line you added to your hosts file ;)

So did it work for you?

Hmm...

I currently have "127.0.0.1 www.appleisles.com" added just below "# ::1 localhost" in the hosts file. I then went to www.appleisles.com, www.appleisles.com/xenforo, and www.appleisles.com/xenforo/install, and all three get the "Oops! This link appears to be broken." message. @_@ What am I missing here? :(
If you want it to work without messing with the hosts, you can just type in 127.0.0.1 in your browser. ;) And yeah, the web server needs to be running. :)

Top Bottom