1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 How to set up User Group Promotions properly?

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by ibrian, Nov 3, 2014.

1. ibrian

ibrian Active Member

I'm having a slight problem with my user group promotions:

1. I have the basic membership of "Registered".

2. I have a couple of private boards accessed by "Senior Members" who have more than 100 posts.

However, when I set up a user group promotion, it only provides the option to "Add User to User Groups" rather than 'change primary user group'.

My problem is that running the promotion, by updating the User Group cache, simply promotes from "Registered Member" to "Registered Member + Senior Member (secondary user group) ". And the latter cannot access the private areas.

Could someone please advise how to promote members from their primary user group?

If this isn't possible, what steps do I need to take to ensure those with the "Senior Member" as an additional usergroup can access the private areas? I recall I struggled with the permissions system after importing!

EDIT: Board permissions for the private areas are:

Registered Members: revoke permissions
    Senior Members - inherit

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  2. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

Promotions add to secondary user groups, they don't change primary groups. Primary should always be Registered.

It's likely your promotion isn't working because you have set permissions in Registered to Never. You shouldn't use Never as it can't be overridden. You should use Not Set (No).

Motobaka likes this.
  3. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

Also, the nodes for Senior members only should be set as private nodes.In the node permissions tgern set the Seniors group View permission to Allow.

4. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

That's your problem. As I said above, set the node to private. Then set Registered to Inherit and Senior to Allow for view permissions. Everything else can be left as default four node permissions.

ibrian likes this.
  5. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

6. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

Thanks, I always forget to mention the second one as the first seems easier to grasp (to me at least). :)

7. ibrian

ibrian Active Member

Cheers, Martok - that looks like it solved it. :)

Thanks for the reply, too, Brogan. :)