How to lower Bounce rate?

fredrikse

Hi,

I've been looking at the bounce rate on my forum. It's pretty high in some areas. Any ideas how I can lower the rate and make people stay longer? I would like to start and use Google Analytics to work out some sort of strategy for keywords and content.

Controlling bounce rate on user generated content is difficult. It all depends on your niche.

The single best thing you can do in communities, is change thread titles to correctly reflect the first posts content. Do that, you improve the accuracy of content to title ratio, thus you increase the likelihood the content is shown to the right searcher.

Last edited:
Controlling bounce rate on user generated content is difficult. It all depends on your niche.

The single best thing you can do in communities, is change thread titles to correctly reflect the first posts content. Do that, you improve the accuracy of content to title ration, thus you increase the likelihood the content is shown to the right searcher.
That's a very good idea. I'm positioned in the aviation segment. Very often my users write very short thread titles. So it would make sense for me to start en go through all threads and correcting the titles where necessary?

Would it be a good idea to write articles on different subjects that would maybe rank higher in the search engine?

Would it be a good idea to write articles on different subjects that would maybe rank higher in the search engine?
That's exactly what you want to do, yes. If there are specific phrases used in Google for your niche, then writing dedicated pages about that phrase is how you get listed for those phrases. What you do is then link from other posts, as posted, that use that phrase /similar phrase to the created page. Those internal keyword links will boost your rankings significantly, especially for long-tail terms (those not searched much).

Hi,

I've been looking at the bounce rate on my forum. It's pretty high in some areas. Any ideas how I can lower the rate and make people stay longer? I would like to start and use Google Analytics to work out some sort of strategy for keywords and content.
To help people stay on your website longer, there are a few things that might help: