1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.1 How to get VB4 URLs to Re-direct

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by AdamU, Feb 12, 2012.

1. AdamU

AdamU Member

I've just installed XenForo in the same directory that my VBulletin was on. I've imported all the threads and remember it saying something about archiving ID (which I chose to do, even though I didn't really understand it) but the old URLs are indexed by search engines. Can I get the old address to re-direct to the new thread URLs?
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

3. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

4. AdamU

AdamU Member

Oh dear, this isn't going smoothly.

I've used VBSEO but I haven't seen this in the admin for it:

Downloaded this http://xenforo.com/community/threads/vbulletin-4-x-url-redirection.7584/, then uploaded the contents of standard-basic-advanced/upload to my forum root.

The instruction says "If your old rewrite rules are still in place, your URLs may work at this stage. If not, continue to install a route-based alternative: (and be sure to disable any remaining vB4 rewrite rules as they may interfere with the routes)" I don't know how to do that. The htaccess only contains info from Xenforo and I've deactivated the VBSEO plugin. What else do I need to do?

I uploaded the contents of mod_rewrite/upload to my forum root.

I installed the XML file.

Then I changed the 301config.php file as explained here http://xenforo.com/help/import-redirection/ to "define('IMPORT_LOG_TABLE', 'archived_import_log');>"

Any ideas where I have gone wrong?
  5. Jake Bunce

6. AdamU

AdamU Member

Thanks. My old URLs looked like this http://www.3dsbuzz.com/3ds-forum/ni...fical-3ds-buzz-pushmo-pullblox-database-5694/ so I picked "Source: 002 - Hierarchic directory type URLs with content relevant threads (used at www.vBSEO.com)" and now my .htaccess file looks like this:

I've uploaded the files from within the "vb" folder of "import-301-vbulletin-v6.zip" to my forum root.

I'm afraid I'm still not getting anywhere. Any more ideas? I really appreciate your help.
  7. Jake Bunce

I can take a look if you give me FTP access.

I'm about to do the same. I have Vbulletin in root and plan on placing Xenforo in the same place. Is it correct to delete all Vbulletin/Vbseo files before Xenforo install?
    I'm assuming the following is the correct procedure?

1. Get .htaccess file sorted with rewrite rules.
    2. Delete all Vbulletin/Vbseo files
    3. Place Kier's redirect scripts in root.
    4. Install Xenforo/Import Data.

If someone could confirm that would be great. Thanks in advance.
  9. Jake Bunce

I personally would install XF in a different directory so you can get everything working before replacing vB. But yes, that process is correct.

Thank you, I did what you suggested and got it switched over.

Just one thing for anyone else doing it this way. I had one problem: I installed Xenforo in /forums folder first and then moved the install to root. I was having a little trouble with clicking on forum links and getting error pages. I had forgotten to delete the install in the /forums folder. After I deleted it, problem solved. Hope that helps someone in the future.
  11. mrb1972

mrb1972 Active Member

I will be trying this soon with my VB4 + VBSEO, so did you use Kier's redirection scripts for VB3 in the end rather than the VB4 ones? :confused:

mrb1972 likes this.
  13. AdamU

AdamU Member

Thank you so much Jake. I would have never resolved the issue myself. I still don't really understand what you did but I'm very grateful that you made it work.