XF 1.5 How to create a forum accessible by member meeting certain criteria

Chromaniac

For example... A member older than 30 days with at least 10 posts.

I tried getting it to work using User Group Promotions but I must have messed somewhere because it failed to work. I created a rule where a member meeting defined criteria became part of a new user group named Regulars. The forum was allowed to be accessed by Regulars and not Registered.

This somehow failed to work for me as the users who were promoted became part of both Registered and Regulars and somehow they followed permissions of Registered so no access to the forum. I ended up deleting the custom user group and the promotion and right now the forum is accessible by logged in members and not guests.

Can someone suggest how to do it the proper way. And if my way is the way to do it, how do I get it right? Thanks.

This somehow failed to work for me as the users who were promoted became part of both Registered and Regular
That's correct, everybody should have the Registered group as their primary user group. Promotions add users to secondary user groups.

and somehow they followed permissions of Registered so no access to the forum
Here's how you should do it:

https://xenforo.com/community/resou...-multiple-user-groups.358/update?update=16595

So promotions cannot work in this case? I would either have to add individual users to the private forum or add them to a custom user group that has access to that forum?

1. Make a private node.
2. Set Node Permissions for user group Regulars
3. Set user group promotion from Registered to Regular.

Don't revoke/never anything in Registered in regards to your private node. Just leave it all 'Not Set'

Looks like I might have messed settings for Registered because on my forum the private forum was following permissions of Registered even for Regular group not allowing them to access the Private forum. Let me try it once again! Thanks.

Looks like I might have messed settings for Registered because on my forum the private forum was following permissions of Registered even for Regular group not allowing them to access the Private forum. Let me try it once again! Thanks.
As @n00bsaibot said, make sure you don't use the Never permission , use Not Set (No) instead for permissions you don't wish to give.

Ok. I just have these options for permissions:

Inherit
Allow
Revoke
Never

I do not see Not Set/No permission in permission setting of the private forum.

I do see Not Set/No in Edit User Group. I have to set this to NOT SET for both Registered and Regulars? This option appears to be applicable to entire forum and I cannot set it for individual forums. What am I doing wrong?

seems to work for my own test accounts. :D i wonder what i did wrong previously. would find out soon if it works for regular members. i have ran the cron job manually few times... but only around 10 members have been promoted to the regular user group. there should be lots more. would keep an eye if this increases with time. thanks!

I just ran a batch update on members matching criteria (5o+ posts). Is this what you mean by manually rebuilding user group promotions? Or is there an option in backend?

I assume the cron job would take care of this in future for new accounts matching the criteria! Thanks.

There's an option in the backend under Tools > Rebuild.

The cron job will take care of new accounts that match, it just doesn't apply retroactively to inactive accounts.

Top Bottom