How often do you use "Mark Forums Read" ? or Do you use What's new ?

How often do you use "Mark Forums Read" ? or Do you use What's new ?

• I use "Mark Forums Read" on all Forums and Subforums alot (heavy user)

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • I use "Mark entire Forum Read" alot (heavy user)

Votes: 18 21.2%
  • I use "Mark Forums Read" on a forum where I am a moderator, but rarely in other situations (mod user

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I use rarely ever use "Mark Forums Read" (No)

Votes: 29 34.1%
  • What is "Mark Forums Read" ? (No)

Votes: 7 8.2%
  • I use What's New to see new content (No)

Votes: 36 42.4%
  • Do you feel your users use "Mark Forums Read" alot ? (Yes for users)

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Do you feel your users rarely use "Mark Forums Read" alot ? (No for users)

Votes: 26 30.6%

• Total voters

Digital Doctor

Do you bother with Mark this forum Read ?
How do you use it ?
Do you only use it as an admin / moderator ?
Do you users use it ?

xenforo.mark.forums.read.usage.webp

For those that use "Mark this forum Read" ... please comment how you use it. More details the better !

Click *all* that apply

I use the Mark All Forums Read up on the navigation bar, regularly.
I also use What's New regularly, but I didn't mark that one, because you have a (No) after it.

I never use marked forums read, never have done and probably never will.

I use the what's new quite often.

I never mark forums read, because I haven't read them all!

I use "What's New" often - usually to spot inappropriate threads - be it spam or other.

I also use What's New regularly, but I didn't mark that one, because you have a (No) after it.
No more eludes to the fact that you are a "No" for Mark Forums Read, because you are a Yes for What's New.
It's a big ambiguous. But you'd be a "Yes" for What's New (but no big whoop).
:)

On which forum?

How I use this forum where I am a moderator compared to how I use my own forum where I am an administrator compared to how I use other forums where I am a regular member, are all very different.

I have never used the Mark Forums Read, not on forums i visit, neither on forums i moderate or am admin of.

I use the What's new heavily on my forums and somewhat on forums i visit.

I use mark forums read when I have the feeling I have no time to check all new content after being offline for a few days.

I use whats new all the time, but I barely mark forums read, unless there are too many posts that I dont want to read.

huh? LOL... I use them both on a regular basis.

Same here - my common approach is to check What's New - browse the results, read what interests me, and then hit Mark All Forums Read. The next visit I do it all over again.

Same here - my common approach is to check What's New - browse the results, read what interests me, and then hit Mark All Forums Read. The next visit I do it all over again.
That's exactly what I do, as well.

Reactions: grc
How often do you use "Mark Forums Read" ?

I never have and I am not sure I ever will. I don't even know how it works (never felt the need to use it) and what the benefits are :oops:... :

or Do you use What's new ?

... well: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/sort-functionality-for-whats-new.9603/ . So no, I also do not use that much anymore overhere at xenforo.com. I am only interested in a limited portion of the huge amounts of forums overhere, but using the What's New gives me an unsortable overview of everything... which makes it too hard (also the forumnames not having their own column does not help!) to easily see what threads should be of an interest for me . Causing me to hardly use this invaluable function anymore...
frown.png

I use Mark Forums Read on very rare occasions: I think I used it like 4 or 5 times in years. I always take a look at these new posts to be aware of the forum's content at all time.

I use the What's New button only when I didn't visit for a long time when there's more recent stuff than what the Recent Activity section can display. Other than that, I use Recent Activity most of the time. :)

In Vbulletin 3 I used the Today's Posts button all the time rather than using the New Posts one. :)

I used to use mark all forums read on vB when i used Paul M's hack to show how many posts i had not read.. I dont do this anymore because that hack isnt available here and i cant easily see how many new posts show up per day, week, month, etc.. Whats New on vB seemed flawed or just different enough that i never used it but with XF i use Whats News almost exclusively. I do really miss the ability to click on a forum status icon to mark that particular forum as read though.

Top Bottom