How often do you use "Mark Forums Read" ? or Do you use What's new ?

How often do you use "Mark Forums Read" ? or Do you use What's new ?

• I use "Mark Forums Read" on all Forums and Subforums alot (heavy user)

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • I use "Mark entire Forum Read" alot (heavy user)

Votes: 18 21.2%
  • I use "Mark Forums Read" on a forum where I am a moderator, but rarely in other situations (mod user

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I use rarely ever use "Mark Forums Read" (No)

Votes: 29 34.1%
  • What is "Mark Forums Read" ? (No)

Votes: 7 8.2%
  • I use What's New to see new content (No)

Votes: 36 42.4%
  • Do you feel your users use "Mark Forums Read" alot ? (Yes for users)

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Do you feel your users rarely use "Mark Forums Read" alot ? (No for users)

Votes: 26 30.6%

• Total voters
Yes, and the confirmation on it irritates me.
Does vBulletin not have the confirmation ?

I have hit [Mark Forums Read] on mobile a few times accidentally.
I was glad to have the confirmation as I didnt intend to Mark Forums Read.

There is a debate about this feature on TAZ right now.

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/confirmation-for-mark-all-forums-read-really-needed.2626/
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/how-to-disable-mark-all-forums-read-confirmation.15932/

My question is why is this in the pre-sales question area? Looks more appropriate to the General discussion and Feedback node.

My question is why is this in the pre-sales question area? Looks more appropriate to the General discussion and Feedback node.
There were fewer forums in the early days.

Perhaps a more pertinent question is why was it necro'ed after almost four years for what appears to be no valid reason.

Holy old thread batman!

Well anyway, in all these years using xF I rarely use what's new, I rely on widgets and have never used mark forum read, ever.

What am I missing? Why would you mark forum read unless you have read it? In which case why mark it read because if you read it it will automatically be shown as read.

What am I missing? Why would you mark forum read unless you have read it? In which case why mark it read because if you read it it will automatically be shown as read.
Members aren't always interested in every single thread. Using Mark Forums read means that, after they have read the ones they are interested in and then used Mark Forums read on the rest, they can then easily see when they return to the forum if there are new posts since their last visit.

I use Mark Forums read a lot on here. I read what I'm interested in and then Mark Read all of the rest. It makes the New Posts feature more useful too as it only shows new posts since my last visit rather than a bunch of unread posts from a previous visit that I'm not interested in.

Last edited:
Top Bottom