How many xen domains have you registered?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PixelFX

In anticipation for xenForo to come out, how many or what domains have you guys registered. To build future xen plugins/mods/other and or even fan sites?

It's not so much what he would do with the name, it's that allowing someone to use their trademark before they are well established opens them up to some possible troubles down the road.

If somebody who actually is infringing on their trademark comes along later, they would be able to go the route that perhaps Kier and Mike actually aren't the real trademark owners, citing how many sites using the trademark came out around the same time period. From here it would be a waste of money for XF Ltd. as they would have to go through more trouble in proving actual ownership and rights to the name than if they had just enforced it in the beginning; letting it become established as their own in the first place.
At the end of the day, what would you rather see?

50+ sites showing their support for a great product, or 50+ sites with parking pages on them...? If you are going to go after anyone, it should be people that own sites like xenforoskins.com, which is sitting on a parking page making someone a few dollars a year.

50+ sites showing their support for a great product, or 50+ sites with parking pages on them...? If you are going to go after anyone, it should be people that own sites like xenforoskins.com, which is sitting on a parking page making someone a few dollars a year.

Kier and Mike succeeding with XF, or them losing Xenforo due to a lawsuit brought against them for infringement?

It really, REALLY should not be that hard to understand. It's not they don't want 50 + sites showing their support. But if the people running these 50 + sites really do want to support Kier and Mike, they would understand that they need to protect their trademark from possible infringement; and why it would be better for even fans to not use the actual name "XenForo" until said trademark becomes established.

You want to support them? Great! That's awesome! But don't say you're supporting them while doing something that could potentially hurt them at the same time. If you really want to support them, then be a bit understanding on this, and respect their wishes at letting them establish their trademark.

XF Ltd. is a business. XF is a product. It's great that people want to support it, but you can't go calling them a meany face just because they need to legally protect their trademark in order to keep it as a business.

Kier and Mike succeeding with XF, or them losing Xenforo due to a lawsuit brought against them for infringement?

It really, REALLY should not be that hard to understand. It's not they don't want 50 + sites showing their support. But if the people running these 50 + sites really do want to support Kier and Mike, they would understand that they need to protect their trademark from possible infringement; and why it would be better for even fans to not use the actual name "XenForo" until said trademark becomes established.

You want to support them? Great! That's awesome! But don't say you're supporting them while doing something that could potentially hurt them at the same time. If you really want to support them, then be a bit understanding on this, and respect their wishes at letting them establish their trademark.

XF Ltd. is a business. XF is a product. It's great that people want to support it, but you can't go calling them a meany face just because they need to legally protect their trademark in order to keep it as a business.

Why do you think the website isnt live? I don't intend on making it live until said trademark is shown on the UK database.

How does one put this so that it is clear yet inoffensive!

XenForo is a limited company, registered in the UK. The company has a website and a distinctive logo. The company also now has a history, which is currently short. Therefore the company can demonstrate the right of trademark.

With this in mind, the company wants to protect that trademark, understandably. Therefore, we are not giving permission for XenForo to be used, as part of a site name or domain name (or any name!).

Clearly this has potential to become (or has already become) an emotional matter and really, it is quite simple. The point is simply about protecting XenForo trademark. We would be negligent if we did not protect our trademark; for the benefit of our customers future. No one wants to become involved in wrangling over trademark issues, for obvious reasons and we ask that we are not put in a position to have to consider whether to take action.

With this in mind, the company wants to protect that trademark, understandably. Therefore, we are not giving permission for XenForo to be used, as part of a site name or domain name (or any name!).

How do I go about getting permission to call my next child Xen Foro May???

How does one put this so that it is clear yet inoffensive!

XenForo is a limited company, registered in the UK. The company has a website and a distinctive logo. The company also now has a history, which is currently short. Therefore the company can demonstrate the right of trademark.

Clearly this has potential to become (or has already become) an emotional matter and really, it is quite simple. The point is simply about protecting XenForo trademark. We would be negligent if we did not protect our trademark; for the benefit of our customers future. No one wants to become involved in wrangling over trademark issues, for obvious reasons and we ask that we are not put in a position to have to consider whether to take action.

perfect, this makes the point really clear ... thanks for the reply, so no xenforo.something domains are allowed ...

I knew there would be one, well at least one! :p
No seriously I quite like that name :D... Heck I haven't been part of this conversion much because the only domain I registered was XenAddicts.com... Which I don't believe imposes on any TM's, unless I suddenly change the topic of the site and start developing a OS Virtualization platform and I totally agree with what has been said here... I think sites like

Xenforostyles/xenforoblog/xenforoanything is disrespectful of the work you Mike and Kier have put in here.

Invision have the same requirement, they do not allow sites to use the word Invision in their domain as it implies an affiliation that doesn't exist.

It hasn't stopped many people from using it or attempting too though.

The question is now what should happen to those domains? Does XF give permissions to those sites, or are they surrendered to XenForo Ltd.?

That is up to Ashley, Kier and Mike really... I guess they need to asses each domain/site/owner on their merits and either come to some sort of agreement where they allow the domain's use or to buy the domains off the user.

Or the users can stop using the domains I guess a redirect would be acceptable and allow them to expire.

That is up to Ashley, Kier and Mike really... I guess they need to asses each domain/site/owner on their merits and either come to some sort of agreement where they allow the domain's use or to buy the domains off the user.

Or the users can stop using the domains I guess a redirect would be acceptable and allow them to expire.

If I recall correctly, they don't need to buy the domain off the registrants; they can claim it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom