How many xen domains have you registered?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PixelFX

In anticipation for xenForo to come out, how many or what domains have you guys registered. To build future xen plugins/mods/other and or even fan sites?

If I recall correctly, they don't need to buy the domain off the registrants; they can claim it.

Only if the domain is being used in Bad Faith and they would need to prove that.

I am sure it would be better for the xenForo team to buy these domains of the users and 301 redirect them to xenForo.com than let them rot.

Or show good faith perhaps and license out the use under strict conditions. This way a fan site is still possible, and there's a mutual understanding, then XFLtd therefor protected their trademark.

Or show good faith perhaps and license out the use under strict conditions. This way a fan site is still possible, and there's a mutual understanding, then XFLtd therefor protected their trademark.

That would be what I meant by come to some sort of agreement with the owners... If not then there is the option to purchase the domain... Failing that if no co-operation is made they would actually have quite a strong case for showing the domains were purchased in bad faith.

How does one put this so that it is clear yet inoffensive!

XenForo is a limited company, registered in the UK. The company has a website and a distinctive logo. The company also now has a history, which is currently short. Therefore the company can demonstrate the right of trademark.

With this in mind, the company wants to protect that trademark, understandably. Therefore, we are not giving permission for XenForo to be used, as part of a site name or domain name (or any name!).

Clearly this has potential to become (or has already become) an emotional matter and really, it is quite simple. The point is simply about protecting XenForo trademark. We would be negligent if we did not protect our trademark; for the benefit of our customers future. No one wants to become involved in wrangling over trademark issues, for obvious reasons and we ask that we are not put in a position to have to consider whether to take action.

So in english:
xenforoblah.com Infringement
xenblah.com or xfblah.com ok?

so long as the full xenForo name not used in domain?

if you use the xenforo name in some text in the site, let's say you have a "xenforo" section on your forum, that's the same thing.
Not really..Its not trademark infringement to have 'XenForo' written down. If that was the case then every tech news site would be sued by MS, Apple, Google, Yahoo, etc

So in english:
xenforoblah.com Infringement
xenblah.com or xfblah.com ok?

so long as the full xenForo name not used in domain?

Think that about covers it...

though if xenblah.com pretended to be an official xenForo site it would also be Infringing on the [sup]TM[/sup]

Finally, I want to point this out, big, loud and proud:

RickM, we will be proud of you, when you hand over all those domains to Kier (free-of-charge) immediately.

For the benfit of the XenForo-project and for the benefit of this community.

And believe me, you will be proud for yourself as well !
Maybe you will even get a free copy of XF-software, because you have been so kind to secure those domains for Kier.

Thanks !

RickM, we will be proud of you, when you hand over all those domains to Kier (free-of-charge) immediately.

For the benfit of the XenForo-project and for the benefit of this community.

And believe me, you will be proud for yourself as well !
Maybe you will even get a free copy of XF-software, because you have been so kind to secure those domains for Kier.

Thanks !
Not really sure how letting the domains expire (because thats what would happen) would help. It would allow a domainer to pick them up and sit on them.

Realistically you cant expect Kier/Mike to have to spend thousands keeping loads of names registered every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom