How Many Themes Is Too Much?

it lacks a log to indicate how many members use a particular style.
For example, if five of eight are used, may have removed the other 3.
You can work that out though with a MySQL query:

Code:
SELECT xf_user.style_id, xf_style.style_id, xf_style.title
    -> FROM xf_user
    -> LEFT JOIN xf_style ON
    -> (xf_user.style_id = xf_style.style_id);
+----------+----------+------------------+
| style_id | style_id | title            |
|        2 |        2 | Responsive Theme |
|        0 |    NULL | NULL            |
7 rows in set (0.00 sec)

Style_id 0 is the default theme.

I'm terrible for having many themes on my site I've had as much as 10 but soon consolidated that amount to currently 1 and i'm sure that will rise and go back up. Depends on your server i suppose (as with xenforo) too many themes means rebuilding times are longer so I say for me anymore than 8 and rebuilding takes noticeably longer.

At what amount of themes and addons does Xenforo strain the server?

Surely you must realise there's a difference between someone running 100 addons on shared hosting and 100 addons on a dedicated server and what those addons actually do. There's no single answer to this. It might be that you could happily have 200 basic addons running fine but having 5 addons that do something intensive/clash might bring your hosting to it's knees.

The only answer you're going to get is "don't have more than you need".

You can work that out though with a MySQL query:

Code:
SELECT xf_user.style_id, xf_style.style_id, xf_style.title
    -> FROM xf_user
    -> LEFT JOIN xf_style ON
    -> (xf_user.style_id = xf_style.style_id);
| style_id | style_id | title            |
|        2 |        2 | Responsive Theme |
7 rows in set (0.00 sec)

I do not like the sql queries (thank you for the code).
If there is an add-on to be able to know, in the administrator panel, how many members are on particular styles, will be much easier to manage styles.

Surely you must realise there's a difference between someone running 100 addons on shared hosting and 100 addons on a dedicated server and what those addons actually do. There's no single answer to this. It might be that you could happily have 200 basic addons running fine but having 5 addons that do something intensive/clash might bring your hosting to it's knees.

The only answer you're going to get is "don't have more than you need".
This subject is specific to themes because a couple days ago stewart1champ posted a screenshot of how many styles he has installed on www.xFShowcase.com He has around 20 styles installed, only a couple are available. He installs the paid theme and instead of editing the paid theme directly, he disables it so that no one can choose it and instead creates a child theme of that theme and edits that directly so that it can be made public. He does it because if the style creator updates his theme he won't have to do much reverting.

stewart1champ and I are on the same server. I can't install more than 4 themes without having major issues with the Template Modification System. As you know I have around 80 addons installed (down from the 50 extra I had two months ago). I know from no longer being on shared hosting that I have a lot and shared hosting can barely take the strain although it can be done, it will just be really slow, but there is no way that it can take the 20 or so styles that stewart1champ has on his site.

His site does go through the occasional slowdown. I am extremely shocked to this day that he had around 20 themes. I couldn't even imagine attempting that. I have 100 TMS edits in my Template modifications. If we're on the same server, then I should be able to install more themes. Because I'm not, thats telling me that it's either I have too many TMS modifications or I have a couple addons that are giving me major issues. I suspect it's both my TMS edits and it's probably down to a couple more addons I need to uninstall.

This subject is specific to themes because a couple days ago stewart1champ posted a screenshot of how many styles he has installed on www.xFShowcase.com He has around 20 styles installed, only a couple are available. He installs the paid theme and instead of editing the paid theme directly, he disables it so that no one can choose it and instead creates a child theme of that theme and edits that directly so that it can be made public. He does it because if the style creator updates his theme he won't have to do much reverting.

stewart1champ and I are on the same server. I can't install more than 4 themes without having major issues with the Template Modification System. As you know I have around 80 addons installed (down from the 50 extra I had two months ago). I know from no longer being on shared hosting that I have a lot and shared hosting can barely take the strain although it can be done, it will just be really slow, but there is no way that it can take the 20 or so styles that stewart1champ has on his site.

His site does go through the occasional slowdown. I am extremely shocked to this day that he had around 20 themes. I couldn't even imagine attempting that. I have 100 TMS edits in my Template modifications. If we're on the same server, then I should be able to install more themes. Because I'm not, thats telling me that it's either I have too many TMS modifications or I have a couple addons that are giving me major issues. I suspect it's both my TMS edits and it's probably down to a couple more addons I need to uninstall.

That would have been a MUCH better first post than "how many themes/addons is too many" ;-)

I'd suggest it's your TMS edits causing issues. Also as far as I'm aware, it's only the rebuilding of templates which is an issue (i.e. if your templates were never rebuilt you could have 100s of themes with no performance hit). Obviously they need to be rebuilt when you change something or install an addon so there is an upper limit but presumably the more changes you make, the more work has to be done in rebuilding them.

That would have been a MUCH better first post than "how many themes/addons is too many" ;-)

I'd suggest it's your TMS edits causing issues. Also as far as I'm aware, it's only the rebuilding of templates which is an issue (i.e. if your templates were never rebuilt you could have 100s of themes with no performance hit). Obviously they need to be rebuilt when you change something or install an addon so there is an upper limit but presumably the more changes you make, the more work has to be done in rebuilding them.
Yeah my bad. And yeah it's definitely TMS then. Instead of uninstalling all these addons I need to focus on that then?

I think we could always make a negative into a positive and hold a competition.

Contest: How many styles can you install before killing your server and bringing it on it's knees. Winner is the one with the most themes with a server barely chugging along. :D

Reactions: DRE
I think we could always make a negative into a positive and hold a competition.

Contest: How many styles can you install before killing your server and bringing it on it's knees. Winner is the one with the most themes with a server barely chugging along. :D
lol

I would install only multiple slight color changes of xenConnect.

lol

I would install only multiple slight color changes of xenConnect.

I just read audentio thread which i found interesting. I have to admit my styles are sometimes (all) graphic intensive so I'm curious myself now how many I can install and get away with before I kill her off, her being the server i'm on. Hopefully y host will not see this post. But i am curios now but I did recently delete 8 custom styles off my install because the rebuilding took too long but the server we were on was riddled with issues now that we're on a new server might give this a try and install more themes.

Top Bottom