How long will Xenforo 1.x be supported after Xenforo 2.x comes out?

Cromulent

Just out of interest I'm thinking about starting another site which will probably use Xenforo for the forum and I was wondering how long Xenforo 1.x is going to be supported after Xenforo 2.x comes out? I probably won't upgrade to Xenforo 2.x straightaway as I'd need to update my style and there are some addons that I need that might not be updated for Xenforo 2.x right away.

So will Xenforo 1.x be supported for some time with bug fixes and security fixes after Xenforo 2.x comes out for those of use who want to wait for a little bit before making such a big upgrade to their forums?

A decision on the support of XF 1.x is still to be decided, but it will be a reasonable amount of time as we appreciate that not everyone will want to upgrade straight away, for various reasons.

A decision on the support of XF 1.x is still to be decided, but it will be a reasonable amount of time as we appreciate that not everyone will want to upgrade straight away, for various reasons.

I sincerely hope so and I trust the team to do so. I was hoping to upgrade quite soon, but am just discovering various issues about xf2 (beyond addons) that I think could be problematical for my existing users. If these can be easily fixed with modifications no problem, otherwise in spite of my initial excitement I'll be sticking with xf1 for some time rather than invoke user unrest.

In spite of that I applaud the team for their efforts in doing what they are and creating a lovely new forum platform, and for new forums I think xf2 will be lgreat, just a problem for some old fart users who really don't accept radical change too well that just seem to be changes for the sake of changing as opposed to improved useability.

just a problem for some old fart users who really don't accept radical change too well that just seem to be changes for the sake of changing as opposed to improved usability.

IMHO These type of people (curmudgeons) the forum owner decides for and should not fear actioning progression / change. That isnt a community / committee / voted on decision - its dictated. But if you own the forum - it's your sandbox.. You cant make an omlette without breaking eggs.

just a problem for some old fart users who really don't accept radical change too well that just seem to be changes for the sake of changing as opposed to improved useability.
IMHO These type of people (curmudgeons) the forum owner decides for and should not fear actioning progression / change. That isnt a community / committee / voted on decision - its dictated. But if you own the forum - it's your sandbox.. You cant make an omlette without breaking eggs.

I agree, except I'm talking about changes that appear to have been made and are not an improvement.

I have no problem at all in justifying to the curmudgeons anything that improves usability or adds interest to the forum, I was thinking more of things that were mended in spite of not being broken.

But also can't make an omelette without any egg.
Users are essential for a forum. Without them a forum is just a piece of software.

It has to be a "nanny state" judgement call by the forum admin managed in a way that perhaps expects the curmudgeons to throw their toy out of the pram / threaten to flounce but assures solid members that have decent levels of trust that it represents progress on a tech level that might not be immediately obvious to them but good / necessary in the long term. (kind of like the electricity provider wanting to change a house's electric meter...?)

I agree, except I'm talking about changes that appear to have been made and are not an improvement.

I have no problem at all in justifying to the curmudgeons anything that improves usability or adds interest to the forum, I was thinking more of things that were mended in spite of not being broken.

You left out "long term sustainability" / "future-proofing" from your list. that stuff is important IMHO. But no one but the admin of a forum might care about those points. You may have to be 'cruel to be kind'.

Act for the common good

:cool:

Last edited:
when I think about every change that Facebook has made over the years, and all the people that complained about those changes. Then I wonder where Facebook would be today if they never updated from version one. My guess is nobody would be talking about Facebook today if they never updated their software. Just thinking out loud. To each there own. Nobody knows what's best for their forums except for the administrators who run them

So are they saying at some point in the future they will stop supporting all versions of the original xenforo? Hum.... if that turns out to be the case, it will force, and leave customers of this software with no choice but to upgrade to version 2.0. Basically in order to keep their own communities safe and up to date.

So are they saying at some point in the future they will stop supporting all versions of the original xenforo? Hum.... if that turns out to be the case, it will force, and leave customers of this software with no choice but to upgrade to version 2.0. Basically in order to keep their own communities safe and up to date.

Yes, but:

Software isn't supported indefinitely. For example, Microsoft no longer support various earlier versions of Windows. Other software developers also take this approach. It should be no surprise that the XenForo developers will eventually end support for Xenforo 1.x. As has been said though, it'll be for a reasonable amount of time and I'm sure they will give plenty of notice as to when this is.

when I think about every change that Facebook has made over the years, and all the people that complained about those changes. Then I wonder where Facebook would be today if they never updated from version one.

Facebook has nearly 2 Billion users, them pissing off and losing thousands of members would make literally no difference to them. To some communities losing 20 users to an unwanted change could be a much bigger problem :p

Facebook has nearly 2 Billion users, them pissing off and losing thousands of members would make literally no difference to them. To some communities losing 20 users to an unwanted change could be a much bigger problem :p

They didn't get to 2 billion subscribers by giving everybody a piece of paper and a pencil and call it texting. Facebook or not where do you think your site would be with 1999 software today? 2010 for that matter. Or maybe s significant portion of their 2 billion subscribers is because they use cutting edge technology? Of course their bank account doesn't hurt any LOL.

Last edited:
when I think about every change that Facebook has made over the years, and all the people that complained about those changes. Then I wonder where Facebook would be today if they never updated from version one. My guess is nobody would be talking about Facebook today if they never updated their software. Just thinking out loud. To each there own. Nobody knows what's best for their forums except for the administrators who run them

People are more vocal when they are displeased with something.

The best indicator is growth. If facebook is making changes and membership and engagement continues to grow they're obviously doing something right.

The same logic can be applied when Xen 2.x is released.

Mind sending me a conversation with your concerns? I see some pretty big concerns from our end with XF 2 and I hope we do not end up having to pay a 3rd party to fix these. Our largest sites won't see XF 2 until at least 2.1 comes out and hopefully enough feedback on my concerns when other larger boards switch is addressed.

When we were in the process of converting from vB to XenForo, I wrote a series of "how to" posts showing the new features and how to use them, giving the membership a quick view/tutorial of things to come. It went over quite well, even with the curmudgeon crowd.

I'll most likely do the same thing when we eventually upgrade from XF1 to XF2.

Its all on xf2demo.xenforo.com. Not going to write novels again.
I just went there to search for message posted by Brent W and got nada. I'm interested in what your concerns are
Are you registered there under a different name because like I said when search for Brent W messages or as a user I get no results.

Top Bottom